NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 28th, 2017, 07:54
Mostly Harmless

Re: rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

At 6' you should be seriously thinking hybrid or exo. Or perhaps plan on donating your brain to science.

I am not aware of any off-the-shelf options.
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:16
Member Number 257

You do not show where you are and skimming the thread it did not pop out. I saw you said 350. So you v8 swapped you xj then destroyed the roof. Like all have said you have two choices. Swap it all to a new body or chop and buggy it out. I can tell you from experience the Halo with a pillar cage is the way to go if you go the new body route. The d and c is a decent cage but at 5' 11" I found my head way to close to the tubes. Looking forward to what you end doing. If you have no inspection like I do chop and cage is not the be all end all for road driving. As long as you have proper lights and mirrors you are legal as long as it's insured and tagged.
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
You do not show where you are and skimming the thread it did not pop out. I saw you said 350. So you v8 swapped you xj then destroyed the roof. Like all have said you have two choices. Swap it all to a new body or chop and buggy it out. I can tell you from experience the Halo with a pillar cage is the way to go if you go the new body route. The d and c is a decent cage but at 5' 11" I found my head way to close to the tubes. Looking forward to what you end doing. If you have no inspection like I do chop and cage is not the be all end all for road driving. As long as you have proper lights and mirrors you are legal as long as it's insured and tagged.
I'm in NY -- royal PITA to keep it on the road. I do some of my work at my house, but really need it to be road-legal... I'm speaking with a body guy today that I trust, and has dealt with roll-overs before. He's looking everything over -- I trust him enough to tell me if the truck just isn't worth it, or not as big a deal. Like I said earlier, his initial reaction was that if I didn't mind a few dents, the roof was possibly salvageable. but I'll know later today.

As for the D&C, whatever route I go re: cage, I've already decided that I'm not going to do it myself-- I'm going to use the same offroad shop that did my diffs/xfercase/lift/etc. I'm sure they can mod the D&C or build a complete custom cage for me.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old June 28th, 2017, 15:36
NAXJA Forum User

My question would be why the V-8, stick w/ the 4.0 and you'll be better off overall!
Old June 28th, 2017, 17:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
My question would be why the V-8, stick w/ the 4.0 and you'll be better off overall!
Lighter, more powerful, better gas mileage, less cooling problems...
Old June 28th, 2017, 20:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
I'm in NY -- royal PITA to keep it on the road. I do some of my work at my house, but really need it to be road-legal... I'm speaking with a body guy today that I trust, and has dealt with roll-overs before. He's looking everything over -- I trust him enough to tell me if the truck just isn't worth it, or not as big a deal. Like I said earlier, his initial reaction was that if I didn't mind a few dents, the roof was possibly salvageable. but I'll know later today.

As for the D&C, whatever route I go re: cage, I've already decided that I'm not going to do it myself-- I'm going to use the same offroad shop that did my diffs/xfercase/lift/etc. I'm sure they can mod the D&C or build a complete custom cage for me.
Your A pillars don't look to bad. If your A pillars are not bent then I would take the wind shield out use a high lift jack on the inside along with plenty of different pieces of wood and press the roof back up into shape. Get it as close as you can to we're it was. Go to pick and pull with some card board and make a template of the wind shield frame from another XJ so you know we're it needs to be. Obviously you will need hammers and dollies as well buy the set at Harbor Freigt. After all that is done put a new windshield in and spray it with a pressure washer to make sure you have no leaks. Once you have confirmed no leaks spray the entire vehicle with Durabak you color of choice then you will be done and don't roll it again. It shouldn't cost you more than 500. If extreme off roading is in your future then I recommend an internal cage. I am not a fan of XO cages as they are made to protect the vehicle and not the occupants. I am putting a D&C cage in my jeep because I run 4 and 5 rated trails not by choice my freinds all have buggies and I need to keep up. I enjoy exploring and relaxing but instead I am putting my jeep on in its side with smoke pouring out of every crevis boy do I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning.
Old June 29th, 2017, 05:38
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
if you have to ask, it can't be explained ....

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old June 29th, 2017, 05:40
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris420 View Post
Your A pillars don't look to bad. If your A pillars are not bent then I would take the wind shield out use a high lift jack on the inside along with plenty of different pieces of wood and press the roof back up into shape. Get it as close as you can to we're it was. Go to pick and pull with some card board and make a template of the wind shield frame from another XJ so you know we're it needs to be. Obviously you will need hammers and dollies as well buy the set at Harbor Freigt. After all that is done put a new windshield in and spray it with a pressure washer to make sure you have no leaks. Once you have confirmed no leaks spray the entire vehicle with Durabak you color of choice then you will be done and don't roll it again. It shouldn't cost you more than 500. If extreme off roading is in your future then I recommend an internal cage. I am not a fan of XO cages as they are made to protect the vehicle and not the occupants. I am putting a D&C cage in my jeep because I run 4 and 5 rated trails not by choice my freinds all have buggies and I need to keep up. I enjoy exploring and relaxing but instead I am putting my jeep on in its side with smoke pouring out of every crevis boy do I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning.
guy that worked on my suspension for me said the same thing.
The more I look into this, the more I'm thinking salvaging what I have is the better route ... either bending the crap out of it and getting it as good as possible, or welding on a new roof.

Old June 29th, 2017, 10:42
Piece of Fish!

If you keep it, do a 'hybrid cage'. These are typically mostly internal but are external over the roof.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old June 29th, 2017, 13:19
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
If you keep it, do a 'hybrid cage'. These are typically mostly internal but are external over the roof.
thanks.. trailering it to a body shop tomorrow to see if it's worth fixing. I'm going to start with the D&C cage, and go from there.

Old June 29th, 2017, 16:01
NAXJA Forum User

I feel your pain man. Went through something similar recently. Just posted it on my "Expedition Build: Yellow XJ" thread. I opted to go for a chop top, and will be posting the progress over the next few days. Check it out so you can get an idea.
Old June 29th, 2017, 16:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.N.G. View Post
I feel your pain man. Went through something similar recently. Just posted it on my "Expedition Build: Yellow XJ" thread. I opted to go for a chop top, and will be posting the progress over the next few days. Check it out so you can get an idea.
yeesh.. I could cut you description and paste it here. I did the same thing -- bad line, innocuous looking hill, slide to the driver side, and hit a rock... all over.

I'll keep reading your post... I'm probably going to try and fix the roof/panels, and cage the interior. But I'm still working through it.

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:11
NAXJA Member

It's done... didn't think it was possible, but the truck looks better than it did before the roll. new roof, new hood, new doors, new front quarters, new paint:

Here's the "before" picture for reference:

Old August 30th, 2017, 13:52
NAXJA Member

Dang Nice! You do the work yourself or take it somewhere?
Old August 30th, 2017, 14:49
NAXJA Forum User

That turned out great!