NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 26th, 2017, 06:37
NAXJA Member

rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

took the keep out this weekend-- FIRST TIME with my new lift, new wheels, new rear, new transfer case... and of course, I rolled it.

I don't know a ton about body work, even less about unibody. For a repair route, I'm thinking of getting a doner truck, having a body shop weld on a roof, swapping over whatever panels I need, and having a local shop tie in an exoskeleton to the front/rear bumpers/rock rails (haven't gotten that far along in my planning-- the exo will have to happen, just haven't planned it out)

Anyway, anyway.. set the exo aside for now... any suggestions? Is this a gonner? I've considered getting a new vehicle and swapping everything over.. but with all I've done on the motor/suspension/interior, if I can just hand this off to a body guy to fix, I'd rather do that.

ANyway.. here's the carnage:

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:54
NAXJA Forum User

Re: rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

How did it happen? Where's the vid? Conditions don't look to bad!
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:01
NAXJA Forum User

So much for an easy break in =) I would not "hand it off to a body guy" as they will charge you more to repair it than the cost of the jeep and all the upgrades combined. I would find a donor jeep and start swapping goodies. Or cut the top off and run a cage and just beat on it...

Not sure where you live but I have 2 rolling chassis jeeps with clear papers- both are 1995.
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
How did it happen? Where's the vid? Conditions don't look to bad!
driver error -- went up and over a nice obstacle with no problem, the exit path was a downward slope with a deceivingly high right camber, I took it too high.. just high enough... and flop.

Video was running the entire time-- unfortunetly, it was my go-pro, which was mounted to the roof.... haven't yet tried to see if it still works.

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealio240z View Post
So much for an easy break in =) I would not "hand it off to a body guy" as they will charge you more to repair it than the cost of the jeep and all the upgrades combined. I would find a donor jeep and start swapping goodies. Or cut the top off and run a cage and just beat on it...

Not sure where you live but I have 2 rolling chassis jeeps with clear papers- both are 1995.
I know.. all green and blue trails all day, and then that one black obstacle I had to try...

When you say get new chassis vehicle and swap, you mean from my current Cherokee to the new chassis or the other way around? I'd rather weld a new roof on to my current jeep, than switch over the motor, transmission, lift, differnetials, and every other thing I've put into it over the years...

Old June 26th, 2017, 08:30
Only Slightly Psychotic

I want to be the first one in with, "cut off the top and cage it."

I'll see myself out.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 stock-ish
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
I'd rather weld a new roof on to my current jeep, than switch over the motor, transmission, lift, differnetials, and every other thing I've put into it over the years...
Sounds Like you already know what you want to do.
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:59
NAXJA Member

That amount of body work needed to make that work isn't worth it. So IMHO you got 2 choices.

Chop it, cage it and make a buggy

or

Strip it and bolt the parts to a new rig
Old June 26th, 2017, 09:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Sounds Like you already know what you want to do.
I don't -- I didn't mean to make that sound definitive. That's what I'm thinking of doing, but this is completely new territory for me. cutting and caging isn't off the table either , though I assume once I go that route I won't be able to use the truck on the road ...

Old June 26th, 2017, 10:48
NAXJA Member

on a related note -- if I decide to fix up what I have (as opposed to swapping my motor/suspension/etc into a new vehicle), what years should I look for as a donor? I think in 96 they changed the body style, correct? I assume a roof/quarter panels/etc. wouldn't work from anything 96 and newer?

Old June 26th, 2017, 12:11
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
I want to be the first one in with, "cut off the top and cage it."
You beat me to it.
If it doesnt need to be street legal its sawzall time if it does find a $300 donor and start swapping
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:24
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Or cut the top off and run a cage and just beat on it...

What?

Did nobody read Nealio's post??

I am giving him credit for being the first one.

As to the years the body changed, '96 is the last year of the early version, '97 the first year of the late model.

That said, there are some body differences between the Renix years and the HO years, but AFAIK they are all minor things such as the header panel/grill and the roof racks.

Put me down as thinking your best bet is to get a new chassis/body and transfer things over. I will even go as far as saying that you should start with plating and a cage on the new chassis, then transfer parts over. Perhaps in the interim you can cut the roof off the old one and go topless for the summer, and call that motivation to hurry up and get the new chassis ready for the transfer before the weather changes.
Old June 26th, 2017, 13:14
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
on a related note -- if I decide to fix up what I have (as opposed to swapping my motor/suspension/etc into a new vehicle), what years should I look for as a donor? I think in 96 they changed the body style, correct? I assume a roof/quarter panels/etc. wouldn't work from anything 96 and newer?
98-99 for a newer body style or 93-96 for older. 97 body changed, 95 OBDII came out, 96 has some different things for the fuel system.
Old June 26th, 2017, 13:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
What?

Did nobody read Nealio's post??

I am giving him credit for being the first one.

put me down as thinking your best bet is to get a new chassis/body and transfer things over. I will even go as far as saying that you should start with plating and a cage on the new chassis, then transfer parts over. Perhaps in the interim you can cut the roof off the old one and go topless for the summer, and call that motivation to hurry up and get the new chassis ready for the transfer before the weather changes.
I thank you sir, -I do like the topless summer jeep idea...

Really only 2 options here and they both take work. I know what I would do- Swap it all over an build it better in the process- then learn the limits of my newly lifted xj
Old June 26th, 2017, 13:30
NAXJA Member

Quote:
then learn the limits of my newly lifted xj
yeah, amen to that.