• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Gauge Reads Empty But...

HaddenhasaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have driven over 60miles on empty in my 91xj i havent ddared to push it farther. i heard some xjs still have a quarter of a tank on empty? true? but anyway any ideas of might be whats going on would be helpfull. btw when i fill the tank it still reads full thanks for the help

Drive till your light comes on.:cheers:

Tap on the tank. does it sound like its empty. Could be a bad sending unit.

k did it sounds pretty empty to me so the only thing i can think of is that my jeeps magic lol cuz i havent put gas in since the last 60miles i did on empty. not to mention i have a very heavy foot and only about 30miles of the drive is highway the rest is some back a$$ counrty road with more hills than anyroad ive ever driven on

What size tank do you have? I know the 20 gal on my Waggy seems to go forever on a 1/8 tank. But when my light comes on its time to get fuel.

Fill it up to the top and track your milage for a couple tanks. It should give you a good idea when your about to run out.

Hell drop the tank and clean and lube the sensor and float assy. Worked for me. BTW you know you can make the 13 gal tank hold 20 gallons right? With the tank dropped remove the pump/sending unit. look for a metal tube sticking down into the tank. Cut about half of it off. Walla 20 gal tank. The hose acts like a back flow. When fuel gets to the pipe it goes up and shuts off the gas nozzle.

HaddenhasaXJ said:
btw when i fill the tank it still reads full thanks for the help
I always thought that's what the guage was supposed to read after the tank was filled up. Unless maybe mine's broken too? :eyes:

And running it dry...not really recommended. Who knows what crap might be floating around in the bottom of your tank that would get pulled into the fuel line (if it managed to make it past the filter with out completely clogging the filter).

99XJSPORT06 said:
I always thought that's what the guage was supposed to read after the tank was filled up. Unless maybe mine's broken too? :eyes:

And running it dry...not really recommended. Who knows what crap might be floating around in the bottom of your tank that would get pulled into the fuel line (if it managed to make it past the filter with out completely clogging the filter).

This is why gas is stupid....water and orange juice power all the way. :laugh2:

[/sarcasm]

mcnamaag said:
Hell drop the tank and clean and lube the sensor and float assy. Worked for me. BTW you know you can make the 13 gal tank hold 20 gallons right? With the tank dropped remove the pump/sending unit. look for a metal tube sticking down into the tank. Cut about half of it off. Walla 20 gal tank. The hose acts like a back flow. When fuel gets to the pipe it goes up and shuts off the gas nozzle.

In the years that I have owned XJs I have replaced 3 fuel pumps. Only dropped the tank the very first time. The two other fuel pump changes I didn't drop the tank just finessed the pump in and out until I had it seated on the gasket. Used a brass punch to revolve the ring and no leaks so the point is that to pull the pump the tank does NOT need to be dropped.

I currently have my tank dropped because it is rusted out and being replaced. While I have it out I would like to solve my fuel gauge problem. The story goes that I replaced my idiot lights with a full cluster from a four cylinder*. The gas gauge was working with the idiot lights, but with the new cluster it always read 1/4 tank. Some months later, I replaced the four cylinder cluster with a full cluster from a 4.0 and now the gauge is pegged on the full end of things. So is it more likely that the sending unit is busted or more likely that i have had two bum gauges?

*four cylinder was an '86 so I'm pretty sure that it had the 13 gallon tank, mine is an '89 4.0 with 20 gallon tank. (don't know if this is relevant, figured I'd throw it in there)

Thanks,
ECGTECH

Back