• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil rail

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I need to change spark plugs on my 2001 Jeep.
First time dealing with coil rail instead of wires.
Any problems removing it? Does it get stuck on the plugs?
Do I have to disconnect the connector?
Any advice?
TIA

I had no trouble getting it loosened. The plug boots didn't stick at all. I left it connected and just pushed it aside to change the plugs.
Because of coil design, spark plug cables (secondary cables) are not used. The cables are integral within the coil rail.

REMOVAL
A one-piece coil rail assembly containing threeindividual coils is used on the 4.0L engine . The coil rail must be replaced as one assembly. The bottom of the coil is equipped with 6 individual rubber boots to seal the 6 spark plugs to the coil. Inside each rubber boot is a spring. The spring is used for an electrical contact between the coil and the top of the spark plug. These rubber boots and springs are a permanent part of the coil and are not serviced separately.
(1) Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
(2) The coil is bolted directly to the cylinder head. Remove 4 coil mounting bolts .
(3) Carefully pry up coil assembly from spark plugs. Do this by prying Alternately at each end of coil until rubber boots have disengaged from
all spark plugs. If boots will not release from spark plugs, use a commercially available spark plug boot removal tool. Twist and loosen a few boots from a few spark plugs to help remove coil.
(4) After coil has cleared spark plugs, position coil for access to primary electrical connector. Disconnect connector from coil by pushing slide tab outwards to right side of vehicle . After slide tab has been
positioned outwards, push in on secondary release lock on side of connector and pull connector from coil.
(5) Remove coil from vehicle.

Last edited:
Back