• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Rebuild Questions

Josh

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 w/ 175K that's blowing lots of oil. I have decided to rebuild the motor this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips they could share w/ me. I have never done this before, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Also, does anyone know the best place to buy a quality rebuild kit?

I am also going to replace my 5sp pugeot, and wondered what you guys think is the best upgrade for the $.

One last thing, where can I get a centerforce clutch the cheapest, and is that the best that I should put in there?

Thanks alot in advance for any and all replies.

-Josh

Where is it blowing lots of oil to/from? If it's just in the air filter then there's no reason to rebuild.

Tell us more about the problem and we'll give you the lowdown.

:eyes:

FatXJ said:
Where is it blowing lots of oil to/from? If it's just in the air filter then there's no reason to rebuild.

Tell us more about the problem and we'll give you the lowdown.

:eyes:

so true, it could be simple blowby

Thanks for the responses, guys. It is blowing alot of oil into the air filter; again. I cleaned the valve cover and replaced the vent hoses I don't know how long ago, less than 50K. It is also leaking the oil at the oil filter adapter and front main seal, and of course, the plug. I know that it is probably a simpler fix to redo the vent replacement, although I am concerned that this will not help as it has not been long since I have done this. I am wanting to put a rusty's air tube on it, but I want to be sure i have defeated the oil problem first so I don't ruin expensive parts. It is also just old with alot of miles, and doesn't sound the best in the world, so I thought I would just start new w/ everything.

Please post some more opinions and help me decide what to do.

Josh

Run a compression test, and if you have the equipment a leakdown test, then post the results. Also post your oil pressure readings at idle and at highway speeds with a warm engine.

177k is barely broken in -- I'm at 235,000 on my '88 and I'm not even close to needing a rebuild.

Back