• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for 8.25 guru's....

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
My '98 Jeep is in the shop getting the gears replaced after they went south on me (and right before Moab too!).

... I stop by the shop and the mechanic had the diff cover off so I got a chance to look at the damage. One thing he notice was that the retainer clip on the left side (drivers side of diff) that bolts onto the bearing cap was slightly bent out towards the wheel, and serveral threads of the piece under the bearing cap were exposed. I'm not all that clear on the components inside a 8.25, so I'm not really sure what to call threaded piece under the bearing cap is called. Anyway, we compared the passenger side, and the clip seemed to hold the retainer on that bearing cap just fine..... it hadn't backed out like the driver's side piece.

Out of my own curiousity, what would cause this to happen? My mechanic is puzzled as well. New gears aren't going in just yet because they are lost on a UPS truck around here. At least this will buy me a little time to find out what cause my problem mentioned above.... Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Ivan

Quote. In the differential bearing preload and ring gear-to-pinion backlash, section. Step 10 (last step) After adjustments are complete, install the adjuster locks. Be sure the teeth are engauged in the adjuster threads. Torque the lock screws to 90 inch lbs. (they strip easily).
I´ve used a pointed punch, to put a dimple, in the adjuster threads. A moderate dimple, just for this very reason.

Back