• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get more clearance between front diff and frame rail

JeepJango

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I'm in the process of drilling out the bolt holes for the stock track bar frame-side mount, because the holes are all wallowed out. There are 4 holes: 2 down by the frame rail and 2 in the wheel well. I'm having an issue getting the drill centered on the frame rail holes because the front diff is getting in the way. I need like 3 more inches of clearance. I have the frame rail jacked up until the wheel is just off the ground. What can I do to get the frame rail 3 inches farther from the diff? If I drop the shock, will that create any more flex? or will I also need to remove sway bar and/or LCA? I'm hesistant to remove any extra parts because the rust is so bad they might not go back together. This Jeep is stock but I figured you'd all have experience here. Thoughts?

Jango

Uh, remove the wheel and droop the axle? Use a shorter bit or drill?

More ideas - remove shock, trackbar, and swaybar. If the fasteners break you need to replace them anyway.

Disconnect shock from the side you want to drop and take wheel off. Jack up the opposite side. Might get you the 3" droop you need.

Back