• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ ->Wrangler T-case swap (Help!!!)

footdale

NAXJA Forum User
My brother in CA just inherited an 89 wranger with automatic transmission. The 231 T-case I guess basically blew up so they went to a yard and pulled a 231 from an 89 XJ auto. When they got it home they found that the mating is (what they told me) a little different. Does this sound right and can any simple mods be done to make the 231 from the XJ work?

Thanks
Joe

Even though though they were both automatics and the same year they are not the same transmission.

Your brother's YJ came from the factory with a chrysler 999 tranny, while the XJ was built with the AW4. If he did not already know that, this is probably that problem.

How bad did the old case grenade? are the input gears on the old case still in one piece?

Yeah that sounds like the problem. He told me that the only damage they found was that the area on the case surrounding the rear output shaft is cracked, all the internal components looked good.

Sorry for the lack of information. My brother is not very mechanically inclined and only has his friend there with general auto mechanic skill (not jeep specific). I might have a 231 t-case for sale pretty soon here it sounds like. Should they try to take it back to the yard, or is it a lost cause?

Thanks again

Is it just the output shaft housing? IIRC it was less than $50 to get everything from the stealer ship. He may also be able to use the one from the XJ case

natep1 said:
Is it just the output shaft housing? IIRC it was less than $50 to get everything from the stealer ship. He may also be able to use the one from the XJ case

I think it is more than that. In my last conversation I think I he said something about a bearing being messed up now. Good thing is they found someone that knows what they are doing and going to get it fixed up tonight. Thanks for the help again, especially with the limited information.

Back