• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting an engine after sitting

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a new jeep 1990 4.0 aw4 that has been sitting for a while, AT LEAST 3 years. Anyway, my question is. Ive never started a vehicle after sitting that long. I know there is a possiblity of seal damage and need to know what proper precautions to take before firing it up to avoid any further damage to the engine.

NEVERMIND. I read the the first thread like this on the bottom of the page. I guess I should've searched a little harder. :dunce: Unless anyone has other ideas to add this thread could be deleted.

Pull the plugs(and leave out) and spray penetrating lube in the cylinders.Let set for a couple days and try to turn the motor over by hand.If it feels free, crank it over with the starter.Then change the oil/filter and flush the coolant system.Re-install the plugs and fire it up.Dont run it long till you get a few heat cycles in it.

Back