NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 16th, 2017, 07:15
Only Slightly Psychotic

Re: Battery opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
Don't forget. Warranty claims are no good when your out in the middle of nowhere with a cheap battery.
That was THE primary concern when I chose the DH Platinum / Odyssey. I do my best at not confusing price with value.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
Old September 16th, 2017, 11:19
NAXJA Forum User

I have an interstate in my xj. It has followed me through several different vehicles and is still going strong after close to 9 years now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old September 16th, 2017, 13:35
Piece of Fish!

I currently run a CQ and a O'reilly premium battery in my heeps. One in each of course, I chose to run the dual post 34/78.
Zero issues.
If you want an agm battery, you should be able to pick one up at most any local parts store.
I say this, because the supplier of most of their AGM batteries is East Penn.

Optima quality has gone way down, especially for the price.

Another option (if you do not need/want agm)as 99% of their auto batteries are the same price. MSRp 120$, Motorcraft 34, 34/78, or whatever size you need.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old September 16th, 2017, 22:48
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
I have an interstate in my xj. It has followed me through several different vehicles and is still going strong after close to 9 years now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
That is all we used to sell, and the only batt I would trust. Until they got sold to Johnson Controls. They are junk now.

9 years ago? That's still a good one. I wouldn't use another Interstate when the time comes to replace it.

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old September 17th, 2017, 18:35
NAXJA Member

Put an Interstate battery in my Harley 2 years ago. Never abused, my bike ish a highway tourer and I live in the country. Replaced it yesterday, wouldn't take a full charge, load test failed miserably. Factory battery lasted 4 years and still worked but was starting to drag on cold mornings when I replaced it.
Old September 17th, 2017, 20:49
Mostly Harmless

I have a 2014 Interstate sitting in the garage right now that my charger says won't take a full charge. It is out of The Bride's daily driver Impala SS. I had to go rescue her at work last Thursday when her car wouldn't start.

I think it is a November 2014 battery. Figure 3 years on what is supposed to be a 5 year battery. I am not pleased.

For the moment she is driving with the 2012 Interstate out of the Suburban. That battery would have a legitimate excuse if it kicked the bucket. From what I am seeing in this thread and elsewhere I think I am going to be switching to Deka AGM batteries.
Old September 18th, 2017, 14:38
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Most all the other brands are made by Johnson Controls (including Interstate) which are garbage.

This is when Interstate sold to Walmart and Interstate was a good battery, they stopped in 2009. No surprise, I have seen the older interstates from this era go 10 years.
I just bought a costco interstate and while i didnt start the jeep for a month it died and wouldnt take a charge. Luckily costco has an excellent warranty and I got a new one no questions asked, I was surprised it died so bad it couldnt be charged
Old September 18th, 2017, 15:04
NAXJA Forum User

I'll just add that I currently have 2 Red top's and 2 Blue top's and they have been averaging about 7yrs per!
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:37
NAXJA Forum User

Autocraft AGM
Old September 21st, 2017, 14:49
NAXJA Member

The AutoCraft Platinum AGM are Deka (can tell by the shape)

Plus they are warranty through Advance Auto anywhere in the country, which is important
Old October 28th, 2017, 22:46
NAXJA Member

Battery opinions

I was just debating this, since a couple of days ago my Jeep was dead in a Walmart parking lot. I was about to pull the trigger on a Die Hard AGM(still available in group 34 sizes) but then remembered how bad Sears is doing and amount of Sears where we go wheeling vs Advance.

One thing that surprised me is that the Autocraft Platinum AGM has less CCA(740) than most group 34 AGMs and less than the same size Autocraft Gold(800 CCA) lead acid battery.

Any reason why the Platinum would be a bad choice for a DD? My 98 XJ is mostly stock plus a winch and fog lights. Wasn't sure if I was just being a bit paranoid of the numbers there.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old October 29th, 2017, 10:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Deka. Hands down. I have sold maybe 100 of them in the past 3 years and have never needed to warranty one. There that good.

I run a very high end European repair shop. This is the ONLY battery I would recommend. I did tons of research after I started looking for another supplier when Interstate got bought by Jonson Controls. Varta is another good brand but you cant get them here in the states.

Most all the other brands are made by Johnson Controls (including Interstate) which are garbage.

This is when Interstate sold to Walmart and Interstate was a good battery, they stopped in 2009. No surprise, I have seen the older interstates from this era go 10 years.
I want to put a new battery into my 95 xj 2.5 TurboD, which Varta do you recommend?
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:16
Piece of Fish!

They are made by East Penn, same as Deka and most other AGM batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
The AutoCraft Platinum AGM are Deka (can tell by the shape)

Plus they are warranty through Advance Auto anywhere in the country, which is important
Consider looking into. A 34/78 (dual post).
For some reason sme places sell them slight cheap than 34's
As far as CCA, I believe that oe heep batts are only in the 500-600 range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-bow View Post
I was just debating this, since a couple of days ago my Jeep was dead in a Walmart parking lot. I was about to pull the trigger on a Die Hard AGM(still available in group 34 sizes) but then remembered how bad Sears is doing and amount of Sears where we go wheeling vs Advance.

One thing that surprised me is that the Autocraft Platinum AGM has less CCA(740) than most group 34 AGMs and less than the same size Autocraft Gold(800 CCA) lead acid battery.

Any reason why the Platinum would be a bad choice for a DD? My 98 XJ is mostly stock plus a winch and fog lights. Wasn't sure if I was just being a bit paranoid of the numbers there.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old November 7th, 2017, 18:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakews2217 View Post
I've had good luck with the car quest house brand. Killed multiple times to dead. We're talking like 2-3 volts. After a jump and some 2 footing my 10 min drive home it was weak for a few days, but returned to good power. Had it for 6 years in other jeeps seeing the hot summers and the cold winters. Never let me down when it wasn't my fault. Went out at -12 to start her up. Had 10-40 oil in it and a stroker motor. I bit slow but did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll second this recommendation. I have one in my CR-V that's going on 6 years. Left the dome lights on two nights in a row and it still cranked right up. The Jeep needs a new battery and this is the one I'm getting.
Old November 8th, 2017, 00:21
Piece of Fish!

FYI, since AAP bought out CQ, their "standard" batteries have changed suppliers. All of them used to be made by East Penn, not all are meow.
So, consider spending the extra $ on their AGM batt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_motion View Post
I'll second this recommendation. I have one in my CR-V that's going on 6 years. Left the dome lights on two nights in a row and it still cranked right up. The Jeep needs a new battery and this is the one I'm getting.