NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 16th, 2017, 09:22
NAXJA Member

Re: Low Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgross220 View Post
Thanks everyone. I haven't checked with a mechanical gauge but will do as soon as I can get over to an auto parts store. I'm also going to throw in some 10W-40 oil either way just since it sounds like the 4.0s like it more anyway. I definitely may try the HV oil pump; it's spent the past 1.5 months out of the 3 months I've had it in my garage so at that point unfortunately I'll probably just unload it and see what I can get
You really need to verify with a mechanical gauge.

Typically on the later years 2000-2001, the head cracks, leaks coolant into the crankcase and wipes the bearings. Coolant is very corrosive to to the cam & crank bearings. Even 1-2% contamination with oil can wear them. It sounds like your coolant loss was external so not the same problem. Also, owners typically need to go through a lot of coolant before they report low oil pressure.

Separately, overheating will typically cause a 0331 head to crack. It might be a small leak and not contributing to your low oil pressure. Look for traces of green or any coolant stains by removing the oil filler cap and looking straight down. That's where they crack, right there between the #3 - #4 rockers.