NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12th, 2017, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

Low Oil Pressure

So I've seen pretty similar posts about this issue before but wanted some clarification on what might be going wrong before I start throwing money at it.

I recently had quite a bit of overheating issues (though NEVER ran it without coolant or anything) and replaced everything from the radiator to the heater core (water pump, thermostat, tubing, etc). Once I got everything done and took it on a drive, I noticed that after driving for a bit at idle the "Check Gauges" light would come on and the oil pressure would drop to near 0. It happened once at first a few weeks back, but now that I've got it out of the garage from the cooling system repairs it happens at idle whenever it gets warm. At first I figured the engine being hot before might have burned some oil off (I was grasping at straws) and topped it off with some 10W-30. No dice. The weird part is though, at idle once warm the needle will drop down to about 11lbs of pressure, then slowly sink down to about 9, then all of a sudden shoot down to like 2lbs.

In some threads the general consensus seems like it's main bearings, whereas in others the bearings aren't even brought up and everyone agrees that it's likely the sending unit. I'm gonna see if I can get a mechanical gauge from an Auto Parts store and check it and replace the oil with 10W-40 but just wanted to see if there's anything else I'm missing or any reason why I should pull the trigger on a sending unit/start looking for engine swaps now.

Thanks
Caleb