• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code reader

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
What's a good OBD II code reader? Are the dedicated code readers such as those $200 or less by Actron any better than a WiFi model that you can get for $20 plus software for iPad, iPhone, Androi, etc.?

The Bluetooth ones work well. I use Torque on my android. It reads and clears codes, data logs, and you can monitor some data while driving with digital gauges on your phone. But they won't do ABS, stability control, airbags, etc.

If all you need is an engine code reader, get Torque or something similar and the Bluetooth obd adapter.

If you need the other functions, you'll have to pay for the more expensive reader. I have a Launch Tech Creader CRP123 for when I need the extra functions. I think it was $200 or so.

Scan Gauge 2?

I use and like the ScanGuage for monitoring the engine. Mine will clear some codes but not all.
It is a easier to use solution for a DD than the WiFI versions, but will not supply as much information.
It only reads engine codes and none of the other codes.
For that, you need a pro grade reader, such as the CRP123.

Even then, the vehicle must support the reader. The 97 XJ has an intermittent anti-lock brake light but does not show a code when the read is in the brake test mode.
Later models cars have a lot more information that can be read and monitored, as the OBDII system evolves.

Autel makes basic ones for fairly cheap, I keep one in every vehicle. Clears codes and you can see some data like ECT, TPS, O2 movement and such.

I like having a dedicated code reader(Innova 3130 $120) so I don't have to worry about having (up to date)software on my phone or the phone being used while driving to see live data etc. Also I've let people barrow the code reader a few times and it's easy to explain how to use the code reader Vs. something that connects to a phone and needs software installed.

I also like having an Ultragauge in the XJ at all times but wouldn't want to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

FWIW, I bought a Actron scanner from Advance at 50%. I was already familiar with it since it's the same model they'd hand me to check codes. It also graphs.

Hmmmm....what's the difference between that one and the older kiwi2?

I've got an autoxray 6000 that I keep plugged into my mazda 6 ever since I finished rebuilding the engine....mostly for monitoring coolant temps and clearing CAI related codes. I've been thinking about switching over to one of the simple plug in modules and running it from my iphone. Getting rid of the cable underneath is a big plus too. Anybody have a favorite?

Hey, Anyone used Innova 3150 car diagnostic scan tool? I am thinking to buy this tool. Just want to get feedback. Pros or cons etc.

What's a good OBD II code reader? Are the dedicated code readers such as those $200 or less by Actron any better than a WiFi model that you can get for $20 plus software for iPad, iPhone, Androi, etc.?

Got an Android with Bluetooth? Get a Bluetooth ELM327 ($5-10) and buy the full version of Torque ($5,) and you'll be able to do more with that than you can with most hobbyist-available code readers...

I have an Innova I bought 10+ years ago. I bought the highest model I could swing at the time. I do have one regret; I should have sprung for a model that reads ABS codes.

Last edited:
Back