• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tricks to remove and replace the EGR Valve?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I have a bad EGR valve that I'm in the process of replacing on my '89 4.0 XJ, I managed to fit a socket in one of the bolts, but the other is super tight to get too.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the last darn torque's next to the firewall off?

:soapbox:

As you've probably found already, they're Torx. They're also threaded 5/16"-18, so you can replace them with hex heads, reduced hex heads, or hex socket heads.

I think I actually ended up taking vice grips to that rearward screw to loosen it, then spinning it out by hand. Then replacing it with a hex head - problem solved.

Use a light coat of RTV copper on both sides of that gasket when you put in the new valve.

5-90 said:
As you've probably found already, they're Torx. They're also threaded 5/16"-18, so you can replace them with hex heads, reduced hex heads, or hex socket heads.

I think I actually ended up taking vice grips to that rearward screw to loosen it, then spinning it out by hand. Then replacing it with a hex head - problem solved.

Use a light coat of RTV copper on both sides of that gasket when you put in the new valve.
x2 except I use coppersinch lol same crap but in a can

Back