• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ADVICE WANTED

GRIMUS99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
:helpme: I just bought a 88 4dr 4wd np242 automatic d30 frnt d35 rear going to be my true project build just looking for advice.
I currently have a 99 4dr 4wd welded 8.25 29 spline rear that i am going to turn back into a more streatable rig and convert this 88 to a off road only so here are my thoughts

first swap the axles between the two put the d35 in my 99 and the 8.25 in my 88 since it is stronger and already welded
next is the lift how much still unsure on all I know is it will be a Rough Country lift for three reasons 1) i work there 2) the cost and 3) they perform really well for a short arm i have seen it and tested it against many other kits on the market
than what? here is were yall come in

also need some input how does the welded 8.25 hold up on the trail and how well does it drive on the road compared to a locker I have a project that i am worken on and also need a lift so how does the rough country do.

Welded 8.25 is great on the trail as far as the road it holds up fine just gets old after a while having to pay attention to where and how you turn and as far as rough country goes there are a few better kits out there it just depends on what you are looking for. I have ran mine on this xj for year or so now and i cant complain, it flexes great and handles well on and off road the only issue i have had was a set of bad springs that we have corrected as a company, they were from a new supplier and lets just say we no longer buy from them now

hmmmm, I wish I had known about the spring problem. Another problem you'll want to address is the "swaybar relocation bracket" the bolt supplied doesn't stay tight enough then the threads fail allowing the holes on the bracket to wallow out and a hellacious death wobble to develop. Other than those 2 issues not a bad kit for the money.

As long as your gear ratios are the same on both jeeps the swap is a great idea. next step is decide a tire size and build accordingly.

Phase 1 should be ARMOR, not much point in building a jeep that will be bashed in before you have had a chance to build it properly.

Lets not forget recovery points....both front and rear.

x2 on the armor!

You will probably want to change out the booster and mc to one from either a 95 or 96. If you search you will find alot of info on that.

Depends on the terain and what you plan to do with it. I would go 33x12.50 on some factory rims and 4.5" of lift. Cut accordingly. Front winch bumper and winch rear bumper with beefy tow hooks. Last time I was in western TN all I saw was swamp and mud from that big ass river you guys got over there. :jester:

we got plenty of hills and I enjoy traveling alot so all terrain is likely to hit and as far as the booster and mc i believe I do need one so time to start that search. going back to the Rough Country ? on the swaybar I will take a look at that as well as ask around to see if it seems to be a ongoing problem or not

Back