• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bellhousing Bolt Questions

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I believe there are 5 bolts that need to be removed from the Bellhousing to get it off the I6 (AW4 tranny). I have taken off 2 bols on the bottom (11/16") and two on opposite sides of one another (14-15mm, something like that). I am curious to know if there is a final bolt that I need to remove before hoisting the engine up and out? And where is it?

How about the two at the very top? On 91+ they are e12(?) inverted torx head bolts. Mine were a pain in the butt to get out.

There are only four required to be removed in order to separate the bellhousing from the engine.

The two lower ones (about halfway up, on either side) are hex heads, and are threaded 7/16"-14 if you need replacements. I don't recall the length, but I probably have it on my site.

The two upper ones require an E12 external Torx socket, and are threaded 3/8"-16. Replacement is advised, I have put studs in mine. Same caveat on length - I think it's on my site in the Tech Archives, but I don't recall it offhand.

5-90

5-90 said:
There are only four required to be removed in order to separate the bellhousing from the engine.

The two lower ones (about halfway up, on either side) are hex heads, and are threaded 7/16"-14 if you need replacements. I don't recall the length, but I probably have it on my site.

The two upper ones require an E12 external Torx socket, and are threaded 3/8"-16. Replacement is advised, I have put studs in mine. Same caveat on length - I think it's on my site in the Tech Archives, but I don't recall it offhand.

5-90

oh sweet. Okay then I can pull it...I have about, all the bolts I could find, out.

So when you gonna help me? Ha Joking bud...Just hard doing this all alone.

EDIT:
Thank God for your tech site. I have been searching for specs on V8-360's for a long time...

Last edited:
If it's an AW4, don't forget to take the inspection cover off, and then the 4 bolts off the torque converter.......

Hrrrm... do you really need to do that? Bolts go through the flex plate into the converter, into the converter. Which just slips on the input shaft to the transmission. Might be a good idea to do if you don't want ATF all over.

IcedXJ said:
EDIT:
Thank God for your tech site. I have been searching for specs on V8-360's for a long time...

That's what it's up there for. As I get more factory specs avaialble to me, I'll format and code them so I can put them up. I'd like to get more, and I'd also like to know more about what everyone wants, so feel free to email suggestions to me! I'm trying to make a "one-stop tech shop," like I may have mentioned before...

5-90

5-90 said:
That's what it's up there for. As I get more factory specs avaialble to me, I'll format and code them so I can put them up. I'd like to get more, and I'd also like to know more about what everyone wants, so feel free to email suggestions to me! I'm trying to make a "one-stop tech shop," like I may have mentioned before...

5-90

yeah sounds good...

ChiXJeff said:
If it's an AW4, don't forget to take the inspection cover off, and then the 4 bolts off the torque converter.......

Hrrrm... do you really need to do that? Bolts go through the flex plate into the converter, into the converter. Which just slips on the input shaft to the transmission. Might be a good idea to do if you don't want ATF all over.

Once you get the motor seperated from the bellhousing a tad, run a wire or strap across the face of the converter to prevent it from sliding forward and falling out.

When I pulled the tranny on my MJ (twice), I recall there was also a self tapping screw that went in through the front of the aluminum cover. It was on the passenger side, but I don't recall what it held. Dipstick tube maybe?

Back