• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! 96 XJ 4x4 CPS bolt...in the bellhousing

doostica

NAXJA Forum User
So I dropped the bolt to the CPS in the bell housing when swapping out my cps... I've read on previous posts here and on other sites, some people say It can be left there and it will get destroyed on it's own....

I cannot find the bolt, for all I know it could I suppose have ended up in some corner area that I cannot see, but I'm pretty confident it's in the bellhousing.

To make a long story short, I live in a gated community, in an area where I am not allowed to do work on my vehicle, however I tend to do it when the night staff for resident services/security is at at slowest, so taking the Jeep apart is a real task.......

Can I leave the bolt in the bellhousing as I've read previously?

96 XJ 4x4 Automatic

Yeah, I read that, and I've read other threads about it, as well as some saying that it's ok to just leave it in there and it'll get chopped to bits but I was hoping for someone who's actually left it in there and it's not done any damage... I don't have a magnetic telescoping pole...ordered one and it won't be here until Tuesday. I was hoping to just leave it in there and it'll perhaps fall to the bottom and stay there, but I don't know.

thanks for your reply

ok to just leave it in there and it'll get chopped to bits

Pretty much everything in there is going to be softer than the bolt. I've dropped one in there before, and after turning the crank with a wrench, it dropped out the bottom. I won't be comfortable leaving it in there myself.

Thanks for the replies....

I am going to leave it for now, and hope for the best. If I can get by with it in there (after I figure out why it still won't start now that I've put in a new CPS) I'll take it a few hours to someones place that has a garage and all the tools I could need to tear it down to get to the bolt and get it out.

For now though, I have to figure out why it still won't start...

In the past year most of the following were done, some just over a year ago.

New cps, battery, alternator, new starter, ignition switch, ignition coil, distributor cap, plugs and rotor. New idle air control, power steering lines, o2 sensors, many other sensors, new radiator, water pump & thermostat, fuel filter, oil pressure sending unit, and I just took the NSS out and cleaned it and put it back together; looks great. Many other parts as well, I always buy Mopar parts direct from the chrysler dealer if the price isn't insanely excessive.

Based on those things, I am going to assume, it's most likely the something associated with the fuel sending unit in the gas tank/ fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump. I'm at work but I'll go for a jog to walmart (the only place near me within 15 miles, its about that far) and pick up some spray to blast the intake to see if it'll start.

I am as perplexed as can be. One day I'll figure it out.

For the past many months, before this happened it would die at every single stop, although i can leave it parked start it up and it would idle and never die. I would throw it in neutral when I'd come to a stop and then put it back in drive to go. Some slight stuttering on occasion when I'd begin to drive again.

-Thanks again for your input

Jessica

I suppose spraying starter fluid in the intake will give you a good clue. A fuel pressure gauge is really the correct tool though. Even if it sort of starts/run on starter fluid you still won't know if it is fuel pressure itself or a lack of signal to the injectors.

I would suggest you rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store. You should be looking at 49 psi at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Where would the schrader valve be found? My fuel sending unit has the pressure regulator and pump etc all on it, which is in the gas tank.

I suppose spraying starter fluid in the intake will give you a good clue. A fuel pressure gauge is really the correct tool though. Even if it sort of starts/run on starter fluid you still won't know if it is fuel pressure itself or a lack of signal to the injectors.

I would suggest you rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store. You should be looking at 49 psi at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

It is on the fuel rail. See the red line with the brass fitting on the end of it here:

CherokeeFuelPump52OPT.jpg

It looks like it is several inches back from the fuel line connection on the rail.

By the way, that red line with the brass fitting is my fuel pressure gauge. Ideally you will be looking for a metal cap where that brass fitting is. That is assuming someone hasn't lost the metal cap. Try to keep that Schrader valve capped so that dust/debris don't get in there and mess with the seal.

Back