• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix egr solinoid

Aquit45

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys have a 1990 Laredo with 180k on it. I took it for a smog test in California failed high no.
Went on to replace every sensor is functioning as it should. Took it back failed again in replaced the egr valve and egr solinoid. Now with engine running the egr solinoid is supposed to block vacuum to the valve at idle. From what I read the ecu send a ground to the solinoid when the egr is not needed. So I'm not getting a ground to the solinoid at all. Any ideas is there is broken wire in the loom somewhere.

I'm pretty sure you have it backwards (if I'm understanding correctly), the solenoid has constant power and is constantly energized by the ground through the ECU. Above 1500 RPM the ECU interrupts the ground. It may have some other inputs like low vacuum or exhaust back pressure. The EGR solenoid to the best of my knowledge is normally vacuum open and closes vacuum when it is energized.

I may be wrong, been along time since I messed with an EGR.

EGR.png

Last edited:
Try waiting for it to warm up and stay the idle up to 1500ish and see if you get a ground. I can check mine if I remember. And if I can get my hood open grrr

If I'm understanding the renix manual. The solenoid is provided 12v when engine is running. The ecu will send a ground closeing vacuum to the egr valve when not needed i.e. Warm up mode and at idle. From a dead cold start I'm not getting a ground to the solenoid. Witch is alowing vac to the egr valve.

Does it work when warmed up?

No, the RENIX ECU has no memory to reset.

Tested it when warmed up. Ecu is not sending a ground to the egr solenoid. I guess either ecu is bad or I have a wire break somewhere in the harness.

A bad Renix ECU is extremely rare. Only heard of about 3-4 in 10-12 years here on NAXJA. Two were a bad injector firing diode IIRC. Yours is the first I ever heard of on the EGR solenoid.

Makes me want to test mine. Did you have any other symptoms, or change in performance after replacing the ECU?

A bad Renix ECU is extremely rare. Only heard of about 3-4 in 10-12 years here on NAXJA. Two were a bad injector firing diode IIRC. Yours is the first I ever heard of on the EGR solenoid.

Makes me want to test mine. Did you have any other symptoms, or change in performance after replacing the ECU?
I had this happen to my ECM before I acquired the Mopar Performance unit. I think I had discussed it with 5-90 and found a burned component inside, I can not remember where it was on the PCB however.

I had no symptoms of the EGR not working-- which doesn't surprise me-- other than my usual preventative maintenance testing. When last it was required to have an emissions test, it had passed. However, this was some years ago, and the ECM may have failed afterwards.

Back