• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Box o' rocks

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
90 XJ 4L Laredo Auto, 3" w/full pack

Problem:
I drive to work every day down 8 miles of semi curvy road doing 40-50, then 5 miles flat country road doing 50-60. Then 5 miles of freeway at 60-70. Take the off ramp, stop, turn left, turn left again, accelerate to about 35 and then it happens. It sounds like grinding, binding, dragging.

Everything else is good, after driving 18 miles at a good clip, no stumbling, temps & pressures OK, all fluids clean and changed regularly. All steering components OK, axle u-joints OK.

When I go out on my break and take it around the block a couple times, it won't replicate, won't do it again. Then I drive home, everything OK until I get about 100 yds. from home and it does it again. It's been doing this for several days, and I can't find squat!!??

Any ideas????

that is WEIRD. but what exactly 'happens' you said grinding binding dragging.. how about when u shank those sharp left turns ur exhaust is loose and grinds up against the ol' driveshaft?

Mopar It said:
that is WEIRD. but what exactly 'happens' you said grinding binding dragging.. how about when u shank those sharp left turns ur exhaust is loose and grinds up against the ol' driveshaft?

Uh, yeah, what happens is the question. I'm not "shanking a sharp left", I'm just turning left, onto a street, in a business district. When it does it's thing, it's speed specific (i.e. more faster = more rubbing).

Can't tell if it's coming from axle (brake rub or u-joint) or drivetrain (trans/engine/etc.).

One bump

I think I've narrowed it down to a.) front driveshaft noise or b.) sticking caliper. Although I've greased the calipers up, there are wear grooves in the slide. Also, I could take the front shaft off to see if the noise still persists and look at the front diff.

Last edited:
Back