• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory custom gauges for MJ/XJ

Jeep Driver

NAXJA Forum User
I got my quote this morning for a full 6 gauge cluster from NVU.

This is not cheap.

Gauges will be modern gauges with GPS speedo, analogue, stock arrangement, LED backlit with choice of color. Not a face behind bezel like they are now but a full face cluster. Will remain behind window just as they are now. The idea is to have 2017 gauges that look like they were always there.
There are many other options as well I suppose, graphics, font, needle color.....etc........

I'm just putting this out there, I'm not recruiting you to get one cheaper. I will have to pay for mine regardless.

There has yet to be an option for early MJ/XJ, but there will be one now.

If anyone is interested you can post here.

That's a expensive and ambitious project. I hope that you do it with the appropriate wire this time and not building wire!

If it's anything like other setups I saw on the site, looking at $800+.
I got my factory gauges for $400- than that and they came with a clean MJ.
YIKES!

WTF are you talking about?

Half of your wiring is SO cord!!!

vWiX50H.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Half of your wiring is SO cord!!!

vWiX50H.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

It's service cable/cord, I know exactly what it is, I sought it out.

I get 10/4 for $2 a foot, I strip it out. Service cord is more heat resistant, oil resistant, and more flexible. That's 10g wire at $.50 per foot.

There's nothing wrong with it, in fact I think it's better. And it's not 'building wire".

I'm using it for brakes, fan, lights.

You, criticize me? lol

Interesting choice for wire.

Can you show me some information/links showing how it compares to SXL, MXL, TXL and how it meets/exceeds SAE J1128?

I don't think it takes much to improve on primary wire (GPT), but I have been pretty happy with cross-link wire.

ETA: I don't think those service cord conductors are well suited to abrasion. From my experience all the abrasion resistance is in the outer jacket, and that is generally fine because the conductors are never exposed. They are either inside the jacket or only exposed for a fraction of an inch inside the plug where they can't really get into any trouble.

Last edited:
I like to run Romex because I don't need terminations on the wires; I just loop it and screw it down. The jacket is very tough and resistant to abrasion as well.

Interesting choice for wire.

Can you show me some information/links showing how it compares to SXL, MXL, TXL and how it meets/exceeds SAE J1128?

I don't think it takes much to improve on primary wire (GPT), but I have been pretty happy with cross-link wire.

ETA: I don't think those service cord conductors are well suited to abrasion. From my experience all the abrasion resistance is in the outer jacket, and that is generally fine because the conductors are never exposed. They are either inside the jacket or only exposed for a fraction of an inch inside the plug where they can't really get into any trouble.

LOL.........

I'm not that anal.

(scene)>soundtrack from "Deliverance" playing

It's service cable/cord, I know exactly what it is, I sought it out.

I get 10/4 for $2 a foot, I strip it out. Service cord is more heat resistant, oil resistant, and more flexible. That's 10g wire at $.50 per foot.

There's nothing wrong with it, in fact I think it's better. And it's not 'building wire".

I'm using it for brakes, fan, lights.

Best part of all using extension cords is if you leave the ends on, you can use them for "quick dis-connects"

FWIW...... The NEC and U.L. cover the product with tons of info(as a building/construction product), where as SAE only recognizes it for use to plug in your Tesla !!!

40yrs IBEW Wireman and 20yrs a IAEI Senior Electrical Inspector

I like "SIS" wire a lot, you can't burn with a propane torch but it has limited colors(easily taken care of).
But I like to use marine grade for a lot of choices.
https://www.westmarine.com/primary-wire
On top of that is aviation wiring for interior use but it has limited color choices to..
? https://www.westmarine.com/primary-wire

Last edited:
While i cant speak for the chouve of wire used in the photo I have used sone of this for trailer and drag car wiring
https://www.sherco-auto.com/duplex-...l?Session_ID=bb9fee3b457c3c0c68bab380cdd3cb5b

That is perfectly fine. It is designed for that purpose.

The OP is claiming that extension cords are a superior product, but thus far, strictly on his own word, not with any objective basis.

His choice of wiring may have the "cheap" advantage, but he has yet to show us how it has any "quality" advantages. Given his response to one set of objective measures I doubt he can provide any useful information on that front.

Back