• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap Into a Jeep Comanche?

Francesco

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about an engine swap on my Jeep Comanche for a while now, however being in California makes that really difficult to accomplish. I actually built 70% of a stroker, but ended up selling it to a buddy because I wanted to go a different route. I then was planning on getting an OM617 from a Mercedes 300D, however apparently in California the engine has to come from a newer year car, and my truck being a 1990 and the Benz being made only until 1985, that probably won't work. I was then looking into the OM606, which is considered a definite upgrade to the OM617, however there's not much on the internet about that one, is there a reason why that is? Anything helps. I would LIKE to swap a diesel, and kind of have my mind set on that, but I suppose it can still be changed. But - on the topic of the OM606, is there any information out there?
Thanks

Hello,
I've been scanning all the forums, and I haven't seen much in the way of the OM606 in a Jeep XJ. I've seen ONE in a new JK, but that's about it. I still MAY do an OM617, and either illegally smog it, or find a way around the engine year law, but from what I've read, the OM606 is only an inch longer, and makes WAY more power, and with a fuel pump swap can still be 100% mechanical, I'm just curious why nobody has done it.

I don't know about the Mercedes options, but are you aware of the Cummins "Re-Power" that is supposed to become available this fall?

If (and for that I am waiting to see the CARB EO docs) what is being said currently works out to be actual rules, the Re-Power will be legal for '94 and below.

Might be worth looking into.

That's good to know. Do you have any idea if the Repower will require biannual smogging, as if the diesel being swapped in was newer than 97? I have narrowed my search down to a OM606 out of a 1997 mercedes, as it is newer, makes great power and mpg, is 100% mechanical(with a fuel injection pump swap), and will no longer require me to be smogged, or this repower, as it also sounds like a viable option, as long as its not too expensive.

That's good to know. Do you have any idea if the Repower will require biannual smogging, as if the diesel being swapped in was newer than 97? I have narrowed my search down to a OM606 out of a 1997 mercedes, as it is newer, makes great power and mpg, is 100% mechanical(with a fuel injection pump swap), and will no longer require me to be smogged, or this repower, as it also sounds like a viable option, as long as its not too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo5OZELKaVw

$6K from what I hear.

Back