• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much caster?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I adjusted the caster on my XJ and ended up with 10* positive. The maximum allowed in the manual is 8*. What are the cons with what I have now?

The LCA's are 16.33" (16 3/8") with adjustable UCA's.

How are you measuring the caster?
Most have problems getting enough, while maintaining a front pinion angle of 1 degree or less. Better to have pinion angle correct than the caster in range.

X2 on Go Jeep's site

How are you measuring the caster?
Most have problems getting enough, while maintaining a front pinion angle of 1 degree or less. Better to have pinion angle correct than the caster in range.

X2 on Go Jeep's site

Actually, there are no axle shafts in the D30 at this time so pinion angle do not matter at this time. However, when I restore the XJ to 4WD I plan to install some 1.5 or 2 degree ball joints. The front wheel bearings installed for some time now are from a non 4WD XJ.

Originally I was aiming for 3.5" lift but the coils gave a whopping 4.5" which is more than I wanted. The rear is leveled out with the use of a Dakota main leaf inserted under the XJ main leaf and longer shackles. Now with the OEM JK moab wheels and tires of about 32.5" diameter the XJ is that much higher than I wanted it to be but such is life. I have to work with what I have.

Getting the correct pinion angle is not a problem. I do not feel like getting back under there for a while. It will take less than an hour with the help of an angle finder on top of the ball joint but I am being a lazy old bastard.

Back