• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better off road suspension

mg1234

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys ,1988 2door,bought it a couple of years ago already lifted ,about 6" in front and 4 in the rear,rides like a tank ,has 31" X 10" tires, drives all over the dunes and desert but I'm tired of my brains getting rattled,don't know what springs and shocks are in there but way too stiff,need an idea where to look for simple lift kit,want to retain ride height but suspension needs to actually work ,been into off road forever,if swapping springs from anouther vehicle is the hot ticket I can do that ,just need to get pointed in the right direction ,no rock crawling just off road in the desert ,thanks guys ,

What do you have for front control arms and mounting? Do you have drop brackets?

Yes it has detachable drop down arm off the anti sway bar ,still need the type of truck to get the springs out of or the name of a lift kit you would recomend ,I also think the shocks ,tho after market ,don't have any up stroke left ,thanks for the help

Thanks I'll look him up,as it sits the front shocks are 20-1/2" the rear are 18-1/2" center to center ,how far over stock are these ? I just tried to push done on the front and rear bumpers and couldn't move them ,then I tried it on my F 250 and could easily push those down ,so there you go,

If you want quality you're going to pay for it. There is no perfect junk yard spring for what you want. If you want the cheapest, Get a decent set of front shocks and go from there. And a drop bracket will do nothing for ride on the sway bar. If you're on 6in of lift with short arms in the factory mounts, that's half your problem.

I'd like to know what truck I can get the springs out of that will work ,
That might be the problem that you are trying to solve.

Post pictures of your current set-up.

If you happen to have a digital caliper (or dial caliper), post measurements of the wire diameter of your current springs.

Back