• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 AC Compressor Pully Bearing - Need advice

neatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So today, I've got noise coming from under the hood. I tracked it down to the AC compressor (only screams when AC is OFF - Turn on AC and its back to normal - didnt notice it screaming as clutch would engage/disengage during normal operation, but will listen for that on next drive).

Research here and elsewhere has me looking into replacing the clutch assembly or bypassing completely until next summer and then just replacing the whole compressor.

I need a bit a quick advice on the following points:

1. Should I drive it? I have a 38 mile commute and im fine with running AC the whole way, but what if it starts screaming when clutch disengages off an on... How much damage can I do?

2. If I decide to bypass, is there a shorter belt that I can run so I dont have to remove the compressor and put in a bypass pulley?

3. If I have to remove the compressor, do I really need to take it to a shop to do this? (im totally ignorant on the topic but I know that refridgerant is nasty stuff)

Trying to figure out order of operations here, and take the least expensive short term route, but likely planning to replace entire compressor in the spring when I have a bit more cash flow.

**edit - forgot to mention, the compressor is a Sanden U4691, from what I understand there ARE kits to replace the clutch assembly. FWIW I have had zero other issues with AC, ice cold all the time.**

thanks guys!

Last edited:
I dont recommend driving it at all. When these things start to go they tend to seize up and then you are REALLY stuck. Plus if the belt snaps you could risk damaging whatever it comes in contact with. My advice would be swing by the shop and have them just remove the refrigerant. The compressor is just four bolts so its an easy replace although it is recommended you replace the collector along with it, however on a budget you could just as easily buy only the compressor and install it yourself (its really easy). When my collector went, it gave little warning. So yours is definitely bound to seize.

Decently have the system properly discharged.
If leaving the system open for awhile, find something to cap the lines and plan on replacing the receiver drier once the compressor is replaced. It contains a descant bag designed to draw moisture. If planning to reuse ac, which is needed for defrost function properly) make sure to cap and seal lines.

Thanks for the reply's.

Thought long and hard about the bearing, it spins relatively freelybut is just noisy. I know thats the problem and the compressor is not seizing. HOWEVER, replacing the bearing in this particular unit is not as simple(on others it apparently is a simple operation), plus the clutch assembly is very worn. I think it prudent just to get a new compressor/pully/clutch assembly - picked one up on amazon for 115.00

I decided to have the refrigerant drained, and install the new compressor (the OEM has 200k on it, and I want cold AC next summer). I'm going to leave the system disconnected(electronically), cap everything off, and over the course of winter replace all the major components. Then go back and have it charged/filled whatever before summer.

All in all this plan will cost me 400 bucks a few hours in the shop (which are my favorite kind of hours) and a few cases of beer - and nets me a new AC system, while in the meantime giving me a 'dummy pulley' to drive around with.

Seems like the right plan for me, but who knows - having an XJ is just one big shop experiment for me. Good times.

I dont recommend driving it at all. When these things start to go they tend to seize up and then you are REALLY stuck. Plus if the belt snaps you could risk damaging whatever it comes in contact with. My advice would be swing by the shop and have them just remove the refrigerant. The compressor is just four bolts so its an easy replace although it is recommended you replace the collector along with it, however on a budget you could just as easily buy only the compressor and install it yourself (its really easy). When my collector went, it gave little warning. So yours is definitely bound to seize.

I'm squeezing my bum hole and driving 80 more miles(40 left today) and then fixing it. Its loud, but seems to be holding. worst case scenario I call a tow(I get em free) and miss dinner.

DO NOT remove your compressor.

Replace the bearing, it's easy!!!!!!!

X 1000. Mine did exactly the same thing. I replaced one on my XJ without removing or discharging the compressor.

If the bearing seize you run the risk of breaking the belt. Then you will be really screwed.

Risk I am gonna take....I'll make it home and fix it tomorrow.

The fact is that on my particular unit (I took it apart and saw with my own eyes) the bearing is 'tacked'? in. Because of this, there are not clutch kits available for that unit - I did find a bearing for almost 30.00 but again with the way it's in there, its not a simple pound out and press in situation.

I also found a place that had a replacement pulley/clutch assembly(could be a good option for folks reading this - it was autoaironline - but it was either gonna be a week to get it, or spend 50 something on expedited shipping, which made it the same price as the whole compressor. Dont have that kinda time and not gonna spend 100 bucks on just the pulley.

..and besides all - I'd rather spend a bit more and have a fully rebuilt AC system, and learn how to do it.

To each their own I guess.:peace:

Back