• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To lock or not to lock

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ
5.13 gears HP30
Tires 35x12.5R15 Pro Comp Mud
Locking Hub Conversion

Should I lock this front Dana 30, since I have locking hubs?

Dana 30 on 35's? Get you some chromoly axle shafts first. or upgrade to something stronger.

Dana 30 on 35's? Get you some chromoly axle shafts first. or upgrade to something stronger.

Sounds good.

How easy is it to break the dana 30 shafts with a locker. Does it just break when you are hopping tires and turning and basically beating on it? Cause I'm a very cautious and slow wheeler. Usually I can't keep up with anyone because I'm too busy trying to relax and enjoy the drive.

How is a front locker in the snow? I'm guessing it sucks front or back.

What hub kit are you using? The D30 conversions do not recommend a tire larger that 33" ! Get a ARB for the snow in front, rear doesn't matter that much. Any condition that allows a tire to spin and then land at a different rate than the opposite can break something!

What hub kit are you using? The D30 conversions do not recommend a tire larger that 33" ! Get a ARB for the snow in front, rear doesn't matter that much. Any condition that allows a tire to spin and then land at a different rate than the opposite can break something!

Makes sense. I have the Yukon (YA WU-07) kit. Seems OK so far. I haven't beat on it but have taken it on long trails already.

So I got paranoid about the 33" tire limit, so I pulled my front wheels off and checked out everything. The wheel bearings are still good. There's no movement at all, and it spins freely. I guess they didn't crater after my 72 mile trail ride. :eeks1:

ide be more worried about the pinion than the axle, ive got 4.56 and i cant imagine how tiny that 5.13 would be haha. however idk which is the weaker point at 5.13, 35s locked.

The D30 pinion looked about half the diameter of the 8.25 pinion. Oh well! You know I hardly use 4x4 so hopefully I won't break it.

ide be more worried about the pinion than the axle, ive got 4.56 and i cant imagine how tiny that 5.13 would be haha. however idk which is the weaker point at 5.13, 35s locked.

Back