• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trany slipping

perezxj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ after stop and go driving for about half hour go to take off from a stop.trany rev up doesn't want to move until i down shift then it starts going.
mech are saying new trany but i'm not sure.:

Change the fluid and filter first. Make you get the right ATF.

the mech change oil and he said he cleaned shift sensor i'm thinking if trany was bad it would slip from the get go it slips after i drive it for a while
they want $2000 to rebuild or i can get a refurbish for $700 i don't know what way to go

Also check your transmission cable adjustment.

Bad TPS or NSS (neutral shift sensor) won't cause this. Throttle cable adjust ment can. A bad shift solenoid might make it not engage in first unless you manually downshift with the shifter.

My XJ did that some years ago. Taking it to the dealer and a few other technicians led to this conclusion,..."they do not know shit about the AW4".

As you did, I shifted it manually when symptoms appear to keep going until I had time to diagnose it myself. Using a simple VOA meter I discovered one bad solenoid and one intermittent solenoid. It took me less than 2 hours to replace them all. That was more than 100,000 miles ago.

Back