• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete power loss throughout Jeep after alternator and wiring upgrade

Just found the issue. Engine block ground was running to a stud near the oil pan instead of the dipstick tube mount. I had a bad source of where that ground needed to go, I took it off the bottom stud and relocated to the correct stud that mount the dipstick and now everything works as normal. Man do I feel stupid today. Thank you to everyone who gave me their insight on how to troubleshoot my issue, I wish it wasn't such an elementary mistake because I feel like I've wasted your guys time but believe me when I say I GREATLY appreciate every piece of input!

Just found the issue. Engine block ground was running to a stud near the oil pan instead of the dipstick tube mount. I had a bad source of where that ground needed to go, I took it off the bottom stud and relocated to the correct stud that mount the dipstick and now everything works as normal. Man do I feel stupid today. Thank you to everyone who gave me their insight on how to troubleshoot my issue, I wish it wasn't such an elementary mistake because I feel like I've wasted your guys time but believe me when I say I GREATLY appreciate every piece of input!

WE all been there more than once in our lifetime.

party1: Now go and celebrate with your favorite cold one.

That's great you got it figured out. I will add that you should also check the ground to the firewall from the battery, it would also be open or very weak if you weren't even getting accessory power before.

Trailreadyxj, funny you say that because there wasn't a ground from battery to firewall at all... I had to add one in this evening. The previous owner had this thing hacked and rigged every which way, I'm just glad it's coming together and I can get it back to where it needs to be. I still have a lot ahead of me like fixing the twisted and torn lca mounts, fixing the rear upper shock mounts, etc. but I can say the electrical system is 100% better than what it was a few weeks ago.

DON'T YOU DARE FEEL STUPID

Every single one of us has chased a silly gremlin -- You came to the right place and got good advice -- NEVER feel stupid for that

Lol I understand what your saying, Its just hard to believe sometimes. Definitely a mistake I won't forget, glad I had all the input and help from everyone here. On a side note, I've learned a lot about electrical diag this week between the knowledge here and some side research that I'll be able to refer to whenever needed, to me that is a plus that has resulted from this.

Back