• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ has spark and fuel, no start

Austcord

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a 94 xj for next to nothing. Super clean country edition. It has spark, and fuel. 45lbs at crank. It primes like it should, it is throwing code 76 which is a ballast resistor code. This year does not have a ballast resistor though for the fuel pump, any ideas? Thanks.

they did drop the ballast resistor at some point. but in 94 it is there. check the connections first. up to you if you want to replace the resistor or jump the wires together.

i suspect it starts then dies?

You say you have 45 at the rails. Get a noid light and make sure the injectors are getting drive.

Pull the plugs and replace them with a cheap set of Champions. It is common for a no start vehicle to get wet fouling after repeated attempts to start that is hard to clean up. When you remove the plugs, post up a picture of the electrodes.

they did drop the ballast resistor at some point. but in 94 it is there. check the connections first. up to you if you want to replace the resistor or jump the wires together.

i suspect it starts then dies?
It doesn't have a ballet resistor they did away with those in 93, they aren't in any wiring diagrams. It won't start, not even on starting fluid. The injectors open up, at least when I tested them they did. I'll pull plugs and post a picture.

This is the description i got from the customer. Drove it home, took it down the road by his house, the next day he went out to start it, and it was hard to start. Said it was fueling way to much and blowing black smoky exhaust. So he let it idle at 1100-1200 for awhile with fuel injector cleaner thinking it had dirty injectors. Went out the next day and it wouldn't start, he said it would sputter that is it. Now here we are.

my 94 fsm is showing a ballast resistor in the wiring diagram. but at least on a 90 it will start and then sputter and die when its out.

my 94 fsm is showing a ballast resistor in the wiring diagram. but at least on a 90 it will start and then sputter and die when its out.

Weird, the diagram i have doesn't show it. I can't find one, i was reading on another forum a guy had a 95 exhibiting the same problems throwing the code 76 and he swapped his pcm and it fired right up. Anyway, update: I tested continuity and resistance between all of the injectors and the pcm, they all checked out (0 Ohms) resistance, I put a noid light in all of them, they all flashed when cranking. I tested the primary resistance on the coil (1 Ohm) and the secondary (13k Ohms). It has a good ground, the pickup coil, flashes a signal to and alternates between 0.0 volts to 5.5 volts or so. My scanner says it is getting a crank and cam signal. So im at a loss, I pulled the plugs they all look fine (it wont let me upload an image). I guess ill try swapping the pcm. Will a 93 pcm work in this 94? Thanks

Also, i put my power probe to the fuel pump and turned it on with it and left it on while cranking. Still nothing, so that would eliminate the ballast being bad if it had one wouldn't it? Because the fuel pump would die off after it started right?

Okay so I changed the pcm, still nothing. Pulled the plugs this time and they look like crap. Why would it do that? I have good compression. They almost looked covered in oil.

they are the soaked with gas and melted carbon from the gas in the cylinders. if you are indeed getting spark to all cylinders try matting the gas peddle. it should go into a flood clearing mode and disable the injectors.

maybe find out if the distributor was removed and go ahead and rotate it 180 degrees and see what happens.

they are the soaked with gas and melted carbon from the gas in the cylinders. if you are indeed getting spark to all cylinders try matting the gas peddle. it should go into a flood clearing mode and disable the injectors.

maybe find out if the distributor was removed and go ahead and rotate it 180 degrees and see what happens.

Update! It was in fact the timing was 180 out. Thanks for all the help :) I saw your comment after I came inside! Great minds think alike!

Back