• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR CB antenna mount fitment?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to my CB install and was going to get the antenna mounted and didn't like the way the antenna mount looked. Is it supposed to go between the jeep and tail light? That seems the only way it fits and that creates a pretty big gap between the light housing and body. Has anyone run this and noticed any water issues? It kinda looks bad too with the big gap and slant in the housing that the bracket creates. I was hoping for a much more streamline fit with their bracket.

From JCR's websight:
JEEP CHEROKEE CB MOUNT
INSTALLTION INSTRUCTIONS
• 10mm Socket
• Socket Wrench
• Socket extension, Recommended
TOOLS NEEDED
Please read the mounting instructions below
carefully before attempting to install.
Thank you for purchasing your new CB Mount from JcrOffroad!
Checkout our website, www.jcroffroad.com for more deals and
other great off-road products. Be sure to rate and review our product
online. If you have any questions or are missing parts, please
don’t hesitate to call us at 269-353-1184!
Using the 10mm Socket, remove the two top mounting bolts from your tail light housings.
Note: The photos here are of a ’97-’01 but the install is the same on ’84-’96 XJ’s. The only
difference is the bolts are in slightly different locations.
Loosen the remaining bolts.
Pull the taillight housing away from the Jeep slightly.
Slide the XJ CB Mount as shown between the taillight housing and the body of the XJ until the
holes line up with the bolt holes in the taillight housings.
Follow the install instructions included with your CB Antenna for installing the antenna to
our mount.
Using the 10mm Socket again, screw back in the two bolts that you removed until tight, and
tighten the lower bolt.

It does go between the tail light housing and the body. I"m not sure how well it will seal.

Last edited:
I find the behind the tail light strange. I would rather have the bracket over the tail light housing. I don't have my antenna mounted on the side, I have an old (20+ years) Cobra magnetic mount I keep on the roof. The center of the roof is the best place for the antenna for transmitting and receiving but can cause clearance issues on trails. Good thing with the magnetic mount is if I knock it over I just pop it back up. My antenna has a built in spring at the base and the magnet is much stronger than the newer ones I've tried, it also has a quick connect on the cable so I cna take it on and off easily (I know I loose a db or two of signal with the connector but the convenience makes up for it). My SWRs are 1.1 to 1.3 or so across asll 40 channels

Yea I am really not sure why it goes between the light and body, I'm sure they had reasons butnI just don't see it.

I'm thinking it is a little more stable and may ground better but there are better ways of doing it. I like the clean look to it but prefer my antenna to have 360 degree exposure or if I use a side mount I use a 102" whip where most use a 3-4 foot fiberglass loaded antenna.

I have it and like it. The slight gap doesn't bother me at all, just me. And no water has made it in the body.
I did have to grind some of the powder coat off both for the cable to ground and for the mount to the body. The mount wouldn't ground if it were over the plastic light housing. Guess you could run a ground wire?

I have it and like it. The slight gap doesn't bother me at all, just me. And no water has made it in the body.
I did have to grind some of the powder coat off both for the cable to ground and for the mount to the body. The mount wouldn't ground if it were over the plastic light housing. Guess you could run a ground wire?
Good to hear. I don't have one but it looks like a clean setup.

Back