• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do most swingouts go toward the passenger side?

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
After looking around at a lot of tire carriers for my new build trying to find the perfect one, I've noticed that a majority (if not all) tire carriers swing to the passenger side.

Does anyone know if there is a reason for this or Is it just done this way since the factory carriers swing this way?

I'd like to hear some input on why this seems to be the norm.

Here in the USA we drive on the right side of the road and as such when we have a problem, mechanical, flat tire etc... we tend to pull to the right side of the road. With that in mind the tire swinging to the right puts it away from traffic. Not all vehicles or aftermarket bumpers do this but most do for safety. My factory setup swings to the right as did my Bronco and Blazer.

And the obvious anwser was sitting right in front of me... thank you for that.

I was thinking about building one with the opposite swing to combat the sagging passenger leaf that I always seem to have. I thought the combo of torque twist and the weight of the tire way out on the swingout was causing sag and I could help even out the leaf sag by having the tire hang off the drivers side while having the back of the jeep open for camp.

Here in the USA we drive on the right side of the road and as such when we have a problem, mechanical, flat tire etc... we tend to pull to the right side of the road. With that in mind the tire swinging to the right puts it away from traffic. Not all vehicles or aftermarket bumpers do this but most do for safety. My factory setup swings to the right as did my Bronco and Blazer.

This.

Correct answer. I am considering doing a 40/60 split on my next build, but safety is the main issue.

And the obvious anwser was sitting right in front of me... thank you for that.

I was thinking about building one with the opposite swing to combat the sagging passenger leaf that I always seem to have. I thought the combo of torque twist and the weight of the tire way out on the swingout was causing sag and I could help even out the leaf sag by having the tire hang off the drivers side while having the back of the jeep open for camp.

If it bothers you that much, consider that by the time you sit in the driver's seat, you're probably evened out.

If your OCD still twitches, put a spacer under the leaf. And, done!

When I built my bumper I put the swing out to the passenger side, with the tire on the passenger side. It was very hard to see out as when you look back, you look right at the tire.

I remounted the swing out to the driver side to move the tire. I wanted to cut down on the weight so I moved the whole carrier to keep it small and not put all the weight on the end of the swing out.

My tire is centered on the jeep on my factory carrier. I see ok out the back but tend to use my side mirriors more. I drove trucks and vans for years and visability thru the rearview was poor at best so i use side mirrors. My favorite thing is the rearview camera on my wife's Expedition. (Due to its size and seats the rearview mirror in it is also pretty useless.)

I also think it’s easier when the latch is on the drivers side. Then I don’t have to walk all the way around the jeep. Just get out and the latch is less of a walk. Lol.

I also think it’s easier when the latch is on the drivers side. Then I don’t have to walk all the way around the jeep. Just get out and the latch is less of a walk. Lol.

what I was thinking too

also, most of the time if you pull off the side of the road, the side of the road slopes down and away from the road for drainage....imagine having to push the spare tire & all uphill to open it and latch it...and then how much would it hurt if it came unlatched and hit you ?...

...and then how much would it hurt if it came unlatched and hit you ?...

That's what would happen to me.
:anon:

Keep the swing out to the right, but mount the tire on the left side, maybe have high lift, fuel/water tanks on the right.
The dirtbiund bumper I have on my XJ is that way. The tire basically being right behind you gives at least some visibility when you turn to your right to look back.

Keep the swing out to the right, but mount the tire on the left side, maybe have high lift, fuel/water tanks on the right.
The dirtbiund bumper I have on my XJ is that way. The tire basically being right behind you gives at least some visibility when you turn to your right to look back.

That is what I'm doing with mine, I special ordered with dual swing outs and plan to put a ladder rack on the right side

Rear_View.sized.jpg

Another thing you can do is make a really long swing-arm that mounts to the right, with the tire on the left out on the edge of the arm. Need room behind you to open fully but it achieves the desired results

Last edited:
That last idea looks like a hernia waiting to happen.

This thread is actually quite timely, and I'm not here to poke fun at the red jeep (because it's awesome).

With that in mind, I see some folks saying keep the pivot on the right, and put the tire on the left. This seems like bad engineering to me unless there's massive reinforcement.

Best idea I've seen thus far is to split the bar, have a section go each way. Tire on the left, other stuff on the right. That's what I'm looking to do. But first I have to unscrew the job that Kennesaw Mountain Accessories did on the tire carrier they built for me back in 02, back when I? thought welding was a mystic art. They now go by "Tactical Armor Group", and I MOST STRONGLY recommend staying away from them. The crap I got from them did not at all resemble what I ordered, and when I pointed it out I was told I'd have to pay shipping back and forth to get it sorted out- to the tune of $120/way. I should thank them, obviously- this is what prompted me to learn to weld.

Back