• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding a D30 outside the jeep

Citat3962

NAXJA Forum User
I have a spare Non disconnect D30 to go in place of my disconnect axle in my 91 XJ.

I'd like to go through and verify that it's a suitable swap before I put it in.

How do I check to see if tubes are bent?
Is eye balling it good enough?

Also.. I understand there are a few different hub assemblies for the D30...

I have no clue what year it is so I'll probably have to bring the hub into the parts store and order it..

I've done this.

For starters, you can use a straight edge to see if the tube is severely bent but, for a true check, you need to take it to someone that specializes in axles and has the tools to check it with.

Since you intend to use it with your current vehicle, get the hub that matches your current one. I've seen the '92, '96, '97, and '00 and the bolt patterns for the hub mount are all the same.

My axle was from a '96 and with the exception of the gears, which are HP, I request parts from an '00 (which mine is).

I even replaced the ball joints and they all matched fine, so I don't think anything you do will be a problem.

The only thing you will want to make sure of is that it is not a Regular pinion axle (2000 & 2001). Everything from '99 back was pretty much a HPD30.

Back