NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 20th, 2013, 06:59
NAXJA Forum User

AGM Battery - Failed Twice, bulging battery

Hey Guys,

It looks like my second AGM battery from Batteries Plus has failed. This battery is bulging on the sides, which can be a sign of excessive heat or overcharging. I have a 160a Durango alternator, which I fear may be contributing to the problem. I had my alternator checked and it's putting out 13.8v to 14v. I don't think my voltage regulator is bad. Is there something that I am missing? I was also wondering if it's just engine temps that are causing this. I think the jeep originally had a sleeve around the battery, and that is long since gone. Perhaps I should build a heat shield?

Incidentally, I've already replaced the battery with a DieHard Platinum AGM battery, which has a 4 year warranty and wasn't cheap. I don't want this to happen again.

Any thoughts on this?

Incidentally, I will never shop at Batteries Plus again. They are total jerks about warranty. Any auto shop would simply test the battery and give you a new one. They want to hold the battery for 24 hours to test, and they don't really have a loaner battery program. The guy told me that since I've replaced it once, they won't honor my warranty. Their warranty appears to be highly subjective. I read a review on the same store where a guy couldn't have his battery warrantied because he left his lights on, and that was considered abuse. Give me a break.
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: AGM Battery - Failed Twice, bulging battery

I have a 200A Alternator fitted and have had no issues with my AGM battery.

Year of your XJ might help out. The voltage you have recorded, is that idle or running? If the battery temperature sensor has wandered out of spec, this could lead to overcharging the battery.

I just checked my Factory Parts List and could not find an entry for a heat shield. So one has to wonder if it had been fitted by a previous owner. Leastways, for '97 to '01 there wasn't a factory shield.

I use a private battery supply house here as they always have the best prices and stand behind all of the products they sell. The battery installed is a Deka Batteries Intimidator AGM. They are made in Pennsylvania. Good American Quality!
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

I am always cautions putting too much amperage into an AGM. Putting the wrong charger on an AGM can fry it. My big Snap-On charger will fry our Odyssey or Optima batteries in less than an hour. I would downgrade the alternator.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:20
NAXJA Member

What sort of timeframe for frying the battery? A week? A month? A year?

I am running the 160 amp Durango alt with an AGM battery from O'Reilly's (supposed to be a relabeled Deka Intimidator). Been running it about a year with no issues.

Interestingly, I also have a sleeve for the batttery that was there when I bought it, and I am still using it with the AGM battery. This is on a '99. I also had a '00 that had the battery sleeve, although my '97, and know two others with '98s that do not have the sleeve. All were purchased with 150K plus miles on them, so who knows what was or wasn't there from the factory.
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos View Post

Incidentally, I've already replaced the battery with a DieHard Platinum AGM battery, which has a 4 year warranty and wasn't cheap. I don't want this to happen again.

Any thoughts on this?
Yea.. I think your issues are fixed
Old November 20th, 2013, 17:35
NAXJA Forum User

Sorry folks. 1999 4.0. No funky electronics. Fried the first one in a few months. That battery had post damage that may have extended to the plates inside (tapping terminal onto post). The second one lasted 8 months.

Good call on the temp sensor. I will verify.
Old November 20th, 2013, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeep92 View Post
I am always cautions putting too much amperage into an AGM. Putting the wrong charger on an AGM can fry it. My big Snap-On charger will fry our Odyssey or Optima batteries in less than an hour. I would downgrade the alternator.
Downgrading the alternator makes no sense to me. What if I had this battery in a 2003 5.9 Durango?
Old November 20th, 2013, 18:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos View Post
Downgrading the alternator makes no sense to me. What if I had this battery in a 2003 5.9 Durango?
My thoughts exactly. If there isn't anything wrong with the vehicle then my guess is the brand of battery is the problem.
Old November 20th, 2013, 19:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Gauge Steamer View Post
I have a 200A Alternator fitted and have had no issues with my AGM battery.

Year of your XJ might help out. The voltage you have recorded, is that idle or running? If the battery temperature sensor has wandered out of spec, this could lead to overcharging the battery.

I just checked my Factory Parts List and could not find an entry for a heat shield. So one has to wonder if it had been fitted by a previous owner. Leastways, for '97 to '01 there wasn't a factory shield.

I use a private battery supply house here as they always have the best prices and stand behind all of the products they sell. The battery installed is a Deka Batteries Intimidator AGM. They are made in Pennsylvania. Good American Quality!
I'm pretty certain that the sleeve was factory. I bought the jeep in 2001, so it was only three years old. It also looked like a factory part.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
What group size, Dave?

Carquest sells a rebadged Intimidator, group 34/78: http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/s...5679?acesApp=0

I plan to call Hensley Battery today, and see what they offer.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:41
NAXJA Forum User

Group 34
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:45
NAXJA Forum User

It is what ever the stock group size is. And, yes, I did get mine from Hensley Battery. Wonderful folk. Stand behind everything they sell. Had my replacement power distribution cables made there as well. Have been doing business with them since 1975....

Which is a while you have to admit...

OP, have just thought to ask, is your instrument cluster gauged or just the idiot light version? If gauged, what voltage does it display when at speed?

The more I think on this, the more I am liking the Battery Temperature Sensor as the culprit. As I understand the circuit, the PCM uses the Temperature Sensor to adjust the charging voltage. This is why you will see a lower voltage during the hot summer months.

What I can state, with conviction, is that even the stock 90A Alternator can cook a battery. Having the 160A unit in place is not the issue.

Keep in mind here that there is a (tested) 200A unit hunkered down in mine...
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:57
NAXJA Forum User

The test for the battery temperature sensor is at 75-90 F., the ohms should read 9,000-11,000.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Factory part number is 56041 001. Plus the various iterations after that. See link below for 56041 001AD.

Quote:
55176 267 .COVER, Battery Diesel Engine - Engine: EN0
56041 001 .COVER, Battery Gasoline Engine - Engine: EP0, ER0
55176 267 .COVER, Battery - Engine: EN0
56041 001AB .COVER, Battery - Engine: EP0, ER0
55176 267 COVER, Battery, Diesel Engine - Engine: EN0

Buy it here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/battery...6041001ad.html
Old November 23rd, 2013, 00:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
And, yes, I did get mine from Hensley Battery. Wonderful folk. Stand behind everything they sell. Had my replacement power distribution cables made there as well. Have been doing business with them since 1975....
My first visit was in 1980, second was Friday eve.

Since the charging system in my '90 is a stand-alone, maybe I should be looking into some cooling, and/or shielding for the battery.