• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get my alternator out, around this bracket?

loki_racer

NAXJA Forum User
Alternator crapped out on my while I was on the way to the shop to install the new brake booster.

I got the alternator all unbolted, but can't seem to puzzle out how to get it removed with this bracket in the way. Do I remove the bracket?

IMG_20130316_150240.jpg

Ok cool. I wasn't sure if the bracket had to come out too.

I'm guessing I remove the two nuts to the top right of my finger?

Yes, they are actually studs that thread into the bracket through holes in the timing cover. There will also be one or two bolts behind there that bolt into the block.

The last Cherokee alternator I changed, I remember yanking it out the top without issue after removing the battery. o_O

The bracket doesn't need to come out on 97+ or Renix Models....FYI.

Thanks everyone. It didn't need to come out of my 91 either. I have to remove the OBA York mounted beside the AC compressor and the alternator came out the top with no problem.

It took 2 days to get the alternator from the local parts store, but I finally got my Jeep moved off the side of the road.

Doesn't need to come out, I usually pull the sheetmetal bracket off the front of the alt as you already have, then rotate it out of the top bracket eye and slide it forward, then it will come down either in front of or behind the swaybar, I forget which. May not work for you if you have the shroud for the mechanical fan installed.

I always pull mine from the top. If it will not come out through the top, take a look at your motor mounts. With Batt out there is enough clearance.

Back