• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ alternator/bracket to XJ retrofit?

nitrosloth

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. This is my first post, so bear with me. I have a 90 XJ with the stock alternator and mount bracket that sets very low on the passenger side of the motor. I would like to eliminate my A/C and mount the alternator up high, in its place. I am aware of the do it yourself modification that uses the stock alt. bracket, but requires some trimming, and "rigging". My question is this; Can the alt. bracket from a 99-04 WJ, which is located high on the passenger side, simply bolt in place of my A/C bracket? Thus saving me the time and hassle of modifying the old one? I know I will have to deal with a new belt length and routing, but my hope is to avoid grinding and trimming, and to also avoid that "rigged" look. Thanks.

The A/C and the alternator are the only 2 accessories,(on the 4.0), on that side. I am eliminating the A/C, so this might work? I may just need to find a WJ doner at a salvage yard, pick up the bracket, and give it a shot. I just don't want to invest any valuable time/money if its all for not.

You can't just eliminate a pulley from the equation and run a shorter belt. You would still need a dummy pulley in the original alternator location.

I'm O.K. with running an idler pulley in the old alt. location if its necessary. I just want that alternator up high, and I want it to have a good clean look. My main concerns with wanting to use a WJ bracket on my remix 4.0 is a potentially different block/head casting that would not allow the bracket to be attached; and also, if the bracket will bolt in place, will the alternator pulley still be in alignment with the other accessory drive pulley's on the engine? :dunno:

Try using google:
Type in: whateveryouaresearchingfor, naxja
Should come up with something.

Worst case, go to a JY and take a look

Back