• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help broke bottom rear shock mount

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I was disconnecting the rear shock and when I put the gun to it to remove the nut the mounting bolt broke, Ok how bad am I screwed, how do I get this out it looks like I have to press it or hammer it out, is it a part I should be able to get from the parts store.

is it welded in now? Is the only way to fix this is a welder which I of course don't have, I hate jeeps

How bad is it broke? I snapped mine on my last xj when I was lifting it. I had just enough left to perch the shock on and even after mudding with it and driving it every day for five months it was still perched ont here without even a nut to hold it. I imagine if you can get the shock up on that nub and then use jb weld it would probably hold.

The professional thing to do would probably be hammer it out though. I don't think it would neccesarily require a welder, keep in mind i've only done this twice so I'm not an expert, but i think hammering the bolt out and replacing it with a new bolt going through the axle then bolting the shock snug would probably be enough to hold it without welding. Again not an expert by any means just 2 cents.

well I know how my luck is so if I start to hammer on this baby I'm sure I'll bust the whole bloody axle, maybe I can get a something to press it out do think If I use a tierod tool I can push it out

OK, I wouldn't try to hammer it out, just cut it flush with the mount bracket and drill it out for a bolt. Get a bolt that fits snug in the shock eye(not sure what size that will be). After you get it bolted on, drive the Jeep to a welding shop and have the bolt tack welded on. That should take care of it.

You could also get a full thread bolt(no shoulder) and just run a nut/lockwasher down tight to the bracket and then use a locknut outside of the shock eye, this would keep you from getting it welded. Would cost less than $10 and take a couple of hours max to drill it and bolt on the shock.

gabe4 said:
I hate jeeps
I don't use the gun for any first time removal of anything!

I have a process for removal of the most stubborn bolts.
I was even able to remove ALL 4 rear upper shock bolts! (XJ from CO)

First: Prep, a day or two of PB
Next, Heat (I like to use MAPP gas, it's hotter)
and den, a little more PB
and den, a direct hit w/bfh on bolt head or nut to impact the rust
and den, a little tightening force
and den, loosen a little
and den, tighten a little
and den, loosen more
and den, tighten a little
and den, loosen more and so on hopefully NO MORE AND DEN

I'd cut and drill and replace w/G8 zinc plated and a little anti seize
I use anti-seize religiously on everything

Last edited:
Judging by the title he broke the axle end of the shock mount not the top.

ricot83 said:
Judging by the title he broke the axle end of the shock mount not the top.
Yep, I'll close this out. I just heated up the stock "bolt" and replaced it with another had it welded to keep it in place, I'll see if it starts to wobble out if it does I might just cut off the whole bracket and replace it and relocate it a little since the whole axle is twisted to get the right pinon angle

Back