• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front coil springs? Bump Stop

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
Quick question - On a 1988 cherokee, is there anyway to pull the bump stop out of the center of the front coils. Going to replace front coils this weekend, 3 1/2 inch RE lift. From what I understand I need to support the front by the frame, pull the tires, disconnect the control arm, sway bar and shocks and then I should be able to get the coils out. Hopefully without screwing up the brake lines. I do have a set of spring compressors, but from just looking at it, if there is someway to drop the bump stop, it looks like it would be a lot easier.

Thanks, as usual everyone has always been a lot of help with my cherokee projects.

Not sure about the bump stop on an 88, but on my 00, the rubber snubber just pops out of the metal part....

Dont forget to disconnect your trackbar and your drag link from the pitman arm...you shouldn't have to disconnect your control arms though....you should get enough axle droop to compress the springs a bit and slide them out...getting the new ones in might be a pain though...I know some guys have wedged a bottle jack somewhere in there to force the axle down even more....

JNickel101 said:
Dont forget to disconnect your trackbar and your drag link from the pitman arm...

actually it would be TONS easier to disconnect the drag link from the knuckle instead of the pitman arm. just loosen the nut until it's flush with the top of the stud to protect the threads. then wack it with a hammer. take the nut off and lower the drag link. should take like 1minute.

i wouldn't worry about the bumpstop until after you get the coil out. the rubber part won't stop you from pulling the coil. if anything it will be the bumpstop mount that you might catch on.

Older models screw in. Use a pipewrench or large slip joint pliers slipped inbetween the coils on the metal cup part of the bumpstop to unscrew. Don't forget to put the bumpstop back inside the new coils when installing them.....you can pry the coils apart and slip them thru if you forget but it's a real PITA.

Jeff

edit: a little tip that can help you, use a bottle jack inbetween the axle and framerail to push the axle down and hold it while you swap the coils out, like this:

jack_on_axle.jpg

Thanks everyone

That really helps. Couldn't see anyway to get the bump stop out, makes sense that it probably unscrews. I'll try that if I need to.

The bottle jack idea looks like it will really help!

Thanks again, I'll post how it went on Saturday, hopefully after I'm sucessful in replacing the springs!

I got my srings out and new RE 4.5" in with no problem, and no spring compressor needed. I had the frame up on jack stands and dropped the axle down without the tires on. I only disconnected the sway, and track bars.

Ok - being a newbie to auto mechanics, could someone post a picture showing me which are the "track bar" and the "drag link" bars. It sounds like these need to be disconnect to replace the coils. Any suggestions on disconnecting them would be appreciated. :huh:

Thanks again.

boomer1 said:
Ok - being a newbie to auto mechanics, could someone post a picture showing me which are the "track bar" and the "drag link" bars. It sounds like these need to be disconnect to replace the coils. Any suggestions on disconnecting them would be appreciated. :huh:

Thanks again.

track bar is the bar that goes from the passenger side of the axle tube to the driver side of the frame.

drag link is the bar that goes from the pitman arm (at the steering box) to the passenger steering knuckle.

Thanks again to everyone and especially Jeff. That photo is just what I needed.

I'll be jumping on it Saturday morning and will let you know how long it takes.

Hey, Jeff... am I seeing things, or does that axle actually have camber plates on it? This is the first XJ I have seen that has them.

That has got to be the best photo with nomenclature that I have ever seen for XJs
thumbsup4kk.gif

Thanks, Jeff!

ren said:
Hey, Jeff... am I seeing things, or does that axle actually have camber plates on it? This is the first XJ I have seen that has them.

you're not seeing things. if you look at the radiator and the fact that there is a body mount under the front grill, then you'll notice it's not a XJ. cuz they don't have body mounts. you'll also notice that the frame side trackbar mount is different (still uses the same trackbar though), and that there is a frame in the pic. also if you look real close, you can see that the steering box hangs a little lower than on the XJ, and that is has a low pinion Dana 30 (TJ's use low pinion). the radiator is also different (that's the ribbed plastic thing hanging down in the middle).

that pics is of a TJ wrangler (97 and newer) which has 100% identical steering to the XJ and uses cam bolts on the control arms instead of shims on the rear axle mount like the XJ's do.

Last edited:
Well it's done. Worked from 6pm friday until midnight replacing the rear springs. Passenger side came out easy, driver's side had to cut out the front spring bushing to get the sleeve free from the bolt.

Started on the front coils saturday morning. Thanks to everyone's help and Jeff's diagram, two hours and all done.

As I said, as a newbie to cherokees, the help was really appreciated. I suggest that anyone thinking about doing a lift kit, jump in and do it yourself. Besides saving myself $500 to have it installed, I learned alot about my jeep.

Thanks Again to everyone! :cheers:

Back