• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer and Much Stronger Wheel Lug Studs Upgrade

...almost there myself 27 years-but oh wait I now do work on Semi's Volvo/Mack dealer-I have never used heat either just a Hammer-AND I lubricate my wheel studs-GM says not to,BUT have you ever broke wheel studs due to them rusting and being Seized? I have I used to work/live in Mass-I ALLWAYS use the coper anti-seize made by 3M I have NEVER had one wheel get lose or wobble on the studs-I even used to re-check the wheel torque every 2 weeks-I gave up after 3 months of doing that they just never lost torque!!!!
http://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/13070.html
Let the debate begin!!!:speepin:

It is not easy. Usually they require heat and a lot of force to remove. Nothing a 20 ton press can't handle. But if you're attempting at home...good luck. Need more than just a BFH.

A manual u-joint/ball joint press will remove or install any wheel stud from brake rotors, hubs, unit bearings, etc. A hammer works too in a pinch. Doesn't even need to be a BFH. I've never had to use a hydraulic press and I've installed and replaced hundreds of wheel studs. It's not like we're talking about a stud that's 20 inches long. The mating surfaces are generally less than a few CM.

I hope this was you making a sarcastic remark?? I have never ever ever in 30 years needed more than a hammer to remove a wheel stud. And I have never ever used anything more than a 1/2" air gun and a sacrificial nut to pull the new ones through.

Were you working on a semi-tractor or something??

X2

Only on new studs tightened with a toerque wrench that the nuts needed re-torqued. I am sure that an impact wrench that step could be eleminated. Big trucks are a different story. I have never worked on one but I have seen heat used to remove the wheel nuts.

In short, I will not use heat on the XJ axle. No matter hoow stuck the wheel nuts are, I am sure a good fitting wrench, a breaker bar and maybe a cheater bar would get them loose,...but then again I have never had one stuck so hard the a 1/2" breaker bar would not remove it.

X2

In short, I will not use heat on the XJ axle. No matter how stuck the wheel nuts are, I am sure a good fitting wrench, a breaker bar and maybe a cheater bar would get them loose,...but then again I have never had one stuck so hard the a 1/2" breaker bar would not remove it.

We aren't talking about the wheel lug NUT here. Just the wheel studs. We were talking about using just a hammer to drive the stud out of the axle hub flange after the wheel nuts and wheels have been removed.

dorman studs x20 is $60 on ebay
napa studs x20 is $40 from napa.

i think il just buy steel cragar wheels and call it good

Back