• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

great.. rounded off bleeder valve

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
so today i changed my rear wheel cylinder and shoes today.. everything was going fine. went to start bleeding the brakes right rear ok... left rear ok.. then i got to right front, oh and guess what its not the same size as the rear.. so im assuming its a 3/8, had to use a wrench with another wrench to get it to even budge. Got it to move barley to were it would open, bled it once, closed it and thats when it got rounded off. luckily its on close but i only got to do it once. didnt seem like it had any air in it, so i said screw it, went to the other side, bled it and it didnt have any air in it so i thought it was good. It seems to be fine, brakes are working ok, doesnt seem to be as tight as there were but it stops good. Now what do i do if i have to bleed the system again? how do i get that off or should i just buy a whole new caliper? also has anyone tried those speed bleeders? thanks

if the vice grips don't work I've used those craftsman bolt out things that have teeth and just grip like hell worked on my bro's 94 YJ.

If the bleeder was not rusted in solid, you're in luck. Just go to any auto parts store and get another. REmove the bad one with vise grips. I suggest you do it now while it's still limbered up. You might need to take the one you have as a sample, though, because they come in different but similar-looking sizes.

If you shear off a bleeder in a caliper, one option is to buy a special kit which requires that you drill out the old one, threads and all, retap the hole with a standard pipe thread, and insert the special kit which includes a pipe threaded brass base with a properly tapped and taper-bottomed hole for the bleeder. I didn't price this kit when I last saw it, but it's probably cheaper than a new caliper.

Another option is replace all the bleeders with speed bleeders. Makes life much easier..

I have them, made life easier.

speed bleeders good, very good. keeps the wife from complaining when i call for her help on the jeep. "its too high, i cant get up there, i dont want to get dirty..."

Back