• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Importance of CPS dustcover...

tauber

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my Crankshaft position sensor today and when i pulled it out the dustcover crumbled away in my hand. I put the new cps in without a dustcover and was wondering if this is okay or i should pull the cps again install it with a dustcover. Also, any ideas on where i could purchase a cps dustcover, i bought the cps from the dealership.

I'm surprised the new one did not come with a dust cover. The ones I've bought in the past did. You might check with the dealer on that.

I don't know how important it is for keeping out dust. I found it really handy for holding the CPS in position during mounting, though.

I don't know - none of my rigs have dustcovers, and none of the sensors I've bought (RENIX) came with them, so I just didn't bother.

As far as simplifying the change, I've just taken to "notching" the bolt holes in the CPS bracket - the lower one straight OUT, and the upper one straight DOWN. I only loosen the bolts, pull a bit on the wiring, and it comes right up.

I have the new sensor already notched, and I guide it into place with my long screwdriver. I set the screwdriver blade on the back of the sensor when I've got it where it needs to be, then slide under and tighten the bolts. Five minutes with a Dremel before I get started cuts the job down to about 15 minutes - the rest of the time saved comes from a three-foot 3/8" ratchet extension I found by chance, and bought for the princely sum of ten dollars...

5-90

Back