• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Penalty for running beadlocks on the street?

wrecked

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered a set of Boggers for my jeep and I kind of want to get some beadlocks(i probably won't, i think I'll try some of those staun inflatables) but I was wondering what kind of trouble you run into for running a bead lock on the street?

I'm guessing a ticket, but how spendy can they go?

Simple as this. Do wheels HAVE to be DOT approved to be legally run? If so, they are illegal.

It's got something to do with 2 piece wheels. People were getting killed when the old style rings were flying off the split rims, i.e. the law. The law just hasn't been revised for the newer technology. Most all the local tire shops arround here will mount and balance them, they just can't install them on your rig.

Anymore comments on this? I have beadlocks on my rig that I stole off my CJ7 buggy before I sold it. I broke a few bolts on the way back from San Diego and had to go to my spare. My wife now wants me to get rid of them and go with regular steel rims. I know lots of you run beadlocks, any problems with the cops/durability? I talked to the previous owner of the CJ, Aaron (DeadandCompany on Pirate) and he said that they are homemade beadlocks. I think I'll just drill and tap out the broken bolts and try to run them again with about 20 psi max on the street. Is there a max air pressure to run with beadlocks? Do you have to run under 25 psi or so on the street?

Troy

SEARCH!!!!!!!

this topic has been BEAT TO DEATH on Pirate. weld-on beadlocks will still have the DOT markings and modifying them with beadlock rings does not void that. the only thing you're ever going to get nailed for is a generic vehicle code for "I'm a cop and that doesn't look safe to me". If you have anal cops in your area this may be a problem, of course you may be able to convince the judge that they are safe.

Don't overtorque your beadlock bolts! but check them somewhat regularly to make sure they're not loose.

BrettM said:
SEARCH!!!!!!!

this topic has been BEAT TO DEATH on Pirate. weld-on beadlocks will still have the DOT markings and modifying them with beadlock rings does not void that. the only thing you're ever going to get nailed for is a generic vehicle code for "I'm a cop and that doesn't look safe to me". If you have anal cops in your area this may be a problem, of course you may be able to convince the judge that they are safe.

Don't overtorque your beadlock bolts! but check them somewhat regularly to make sure they're not loose.

Thanks Brett. How much psi do you think is o.k. to run on the street? I know with 37's people like to run about 20-25 psi anyways. Since I haven't been able to sell them and you give a good argument that they aren't illegal, then I'll give them another try.

Troy

Back