• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dash mounted winch control warning "dinger" finished!

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I asked a few days ago about the wiring for the "lights on" dinger and got very little info. Well, I spent the better part of today figuring out what makes it work. I have a 2000 XJ. I do not know what other years this applies too. The little "dinger" box is located on the back of the insturment cluster. It is molded into it. The ignition switch has the "key in" wiring located on the left side of the column. There is a clip with 2 wires on it. 1 is baby blue the other is baby blue with a black tracer wire. This got me steered in the right direction to the headlight switch. There is a single baby blue wire on the left rear corner. This is the "lights on" dinger wire. There is no ground, it think they call it a POSITIVE ground. I used this wire to make my dash mounted activation switch "ding" with the key removed. Here is a down and dirty write up on what I did to make it work. Remember this is on a 00 XJ.

What you will need to do this,
Bosch relay
in-line fuse
wire connectors (female)
wire
tape or heat shrink
in dash winch control with a 3 wire lighted rocker switch.

This is the headlight switch. If you look close you can see the "dinger" wire. It is the blue one with the wire connection showing. I cut the stock connecter off and replaced it with a new one. There is also a green wire tapped into the connector. I had to trim away some of the plastic to get the connector in the headlight switch. This is the wire the goes to pin #87 on the relay.
d5087a63.jpg

This is the relay with all the wiring done. You can see the green wire coming from the headlight switch. The black wire is the ground that is split with the purple wire to connect pins #30 and #85 on the relay. The yellow wire is the power wire from the remote switch. It goes to pin #86. You can also see the in-line fuse in there. I tapped into the "hot" out side of the remote power switch.
39693cfc.jpg

Here is the power source for the relay off the rocker switch. (yellow wire to pin #86) The white wire is the "hot" wire from the winch. The red one is the "hot out" wire when the switch is on. The black one is the ground. I tapped into the red wire to power the relay.
7ec8848e.jpg

Hopefully someone can use this. I am not be any means an electrician. I don't want anyone to brun up thier rig using this. But, it works for me. If I turn the switch on with the key out it "dings". Turn the key on it stops. Now I have a duel alert system for my remote winch control.

thecozmo65 said:
My god I am so glad I have a 90. The dinger plugs into the fuse panel. Great write up though.
I wish mine was older now! Thanks.

Last edited:
Back