• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu AAL/D22XL Install

scottjcu

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone provide some tips on installing the OME AAL? I installed a the OME lift in my XJ about a year and a half ago and didn't realize how often I would load it up, etc. so I have decided to put in the extra leaf.

One question that I have is if I can intstall the new leaf without removing the main spring or if I have to take the whole spring pack out and reassemble before reinstalling it.

Thanks!

I left my springs in place. It shouldnt be too hard to neutralize the springs, loosen the end keepers, remove yer centerpins, slide the AALs in, and reassemble everything. I bought the aals directly after my install, not even two months after installing the OME suspension. Good call on your part, if you tow alot like I do. (Horse trailers here, mostly). Theres no real "Tips". Its a straight forward install.

That's pretty much it. I suppose one should put in new U bolts, but I reused mine and have not had a problem. I've heard that you can use two of the AALs, but have not called to ask about it (DPG). I could still use a bit more stiffening even after the AAL. I'm also thinking about a 1-1.5" shackle--not sure yet, though. I know I need to crank up the ACOS after adding the ARB bumper and winch--they really settled the OME springs a bit.

Back