• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory security system

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
What was the factory security system? Was that that EVS and EVS II setup? What all was included? Are they any good? What would be a benefit of getting the factory install over and after market unit?

And your question is to which of the SEVENTEEN years of production?

In other words, be a little more specific, Ok?

My recollection is that EVS was not offered on the XJ but was on the WJ and other models. However, I'm really not up on the specifics of this, so someone who is can answer that.

The XJ did have the option of SKIM (Sentry Key Ignition Module) - basically a chip-in-key system that acts as an immobiliser if someone tries to bypass the ignition. If your key has the grey fob you have SKIM; if it has the black fob, you don't.

Alarms and the like tended to be dealer- rather than factory-fit options when the XJ was still current, so if you do find one with it fitted there's a good chance it's from a third party. Mopar did have a system for them in the early '90s, IIRC, but that's unrelated to your '99.

I don't guess the specific model year helped, huh??

I can't speak from experience, as I have neither of them, but from my limited readings on them, they're really little more than audible door ajar sensors--

I'd probably look into a higher end alarm with motion and glass breakage sensors if I ever had the need for one. Hell, I don't even roll the windows up or lock the door mose of the time.

I found that in 2000 it was called EVS Plus. Part number 82204268. Came with the security module itself, shock sensor, the siren, and the required wiring.

Back