• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No balls....

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine has a 1993 2 door xj Country with about 160k on a HO 4.0 with an auto and the part-time & full time xfer case, it's also got a 4.5" lift and 32's. He let me drive it and even before the lift went on it feels like it's got no balls because the take-off sucks and it feels like it's got less power overall than the last 2 xj's I've driven(90 4.0 ax-15 and an 89 w/4.0 & auto with the lift and tires the country has now).

Is this common or is something probably wrong? I thought the high output 4.0 are supposed to be more powerful than the renix motors.

The gearing makes sense, because both of the other XJ's I mentioned have the towing package, the country does not.

How could one check for tranny slippage& where should I look for gearing info?

Zoro said:
The gearing makes sense, because both of the other XJ's I mentioned have the towing package, the country does not.

How could one check for tranny slippage& where should I look for gearing info?

you'd know if your trans was slipping...its your gears.

i have 3.54s 32s, and a 5 spd. I need to gear too. 5th gear is almost, but not quite, non existent.

If it felt that way before the lift & tires, I would check the cat. convertor. It could be plugged. JIM.

the cat or this jeep might have been overheated. I owned a 87XJ that had been overheated and never was fast as any of the other jeeps I have owned.

Yeah, I don't think it's gears. I had a 93 with 3.07s and 31s that would absolutely blow the doors off my 87 with 3.73s and 31s and my 87 has intake and exhaust. It sounds more like something is choking the motor.

sounds like... wait i can't hear it.
plug in and see if you are getting codes from the engine.
clean the air filter check the cat.
shoot NOS into the intake manifold.
if it is still doggy, get gears.
mine noticebly looses power when I get wet in the stream and then drive dusty roads. i will loose power untill i clean the k&n
that's what it sounds like to me....wait i can't hear it... derr

Back