• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood latch conversion???

1986xj

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to switch the 84-86 style hood latch out for an 87 up style set up? Or is the radiator support completely different and it won't accept it? I'm thinking I can use threaded inserts and bolts to mount the striker on my new hood but thought I'd explore the other possibilities.
Mike B.

My duaghters boyfriend who has an MJ has the old style locking hood pins in his, works fine....

RichP said:
My duaghters boyfriend who has an MJ has the old style locking hood pins in his, works fine....

That's a thought but it looks a bit too much booty fab for me considering how much the hood cost. I got some threaded inserts I'm going to tack in and just use the stock setup. I'll post how it works after I get them in today some time.
Mike B.

I've done the switch. It is a pain unless you are used to doing major body work. You have to replace all the radiator support hardware as well as cut out the pieces behind the headlights and weld new pieces back in. I did it when I went from a 2.5L to a 4.7L stroker. It would be easier to just swap the busted parts and even repaint than to try and move the latches because you would be painting anyway.

Back