• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Brakes

Masty9

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I am going to be changing the brakes on all 4 wheels on my 1996 XJ 4.0L 2WD. I am going to use ceramic brakes. Does anyone know a good yet cheap brand to get, online or instore. I guess the front are disc and the rear are shoes.?.

Also, this will be my first attempt at changing the brakes myself. Is this something I can do? Does anyone have any instructions or comments?

I will have my dad with me, but he is getting older and doesn't last long (energy wise) on car projects. So I know he can get me started but I don't want to end up getting stranded at my parents house.

take digital pictures of how everything is installed on the rear brakes before disassembly. also only do one side of the rear at a time. both of these will help make sure the drums are reassembled correctly. grab the rear drum hardware/spring kit- its cheap insurance to make sure the springs are all good to go (they can fatigue over time). on the star wheel at the bottom of the backing plate- its the self adjuster- be sure to unscrew it, clean the threads, and reassemble after packing with high temp grease.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearDrums1.htm

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFrontDisks.htm

There may be some minor differences in yours than these write ups.
I usually do one side at a time (if I forget where something goes I have the other side to compare to) and possibly do the fronts one day and rears the next. Trying to rush things is when mistakes happen.
Also remember the first stop or two after installing new brakes can get kind of hair raising, keep your hand on the parking brake. It may take a few trips in reverse, then stop, to let the self adjusters in the rear seat the shoes properly.
And the front pads sometimes have a glaze on them that needs to burn off and the front pistons have to re seat.
Rear brakes isn't someplace I'd want to launch my mechanical career. Best to have someone around who has done it before. Getting the hold down springs on and off can be aggravating, some pieces go back together again a lot easier with a third hand.

Those are great write ups. My problem started with not being able to get the wheels off. The aluminum rims were corroded onto the hubs. Beating on them with large objects did not work. Last resort (which worked) was to loosed lugs up and drive around a few corners harshly. That broke them loose.

Back