• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Joint and Seam Sealers

RCman

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I've got cage bars going through my roof and sections of the roof welded together I want to get a good quality seam sealer.

I've done some research on the different types and brands and have a couple of options and opinions of my own, but I'd like to see what you guys have used and had good (or bad) luck with.

No, I will not use roofing tar. Don't suggest it. :looser:

I have a Millermatic 185 and have been really happy with it.
Haha! :spin1:
My Millermatic 180 works just well too. I'm 100% confident in my welds, I just thought that areas around the cage bars might benefit from some extra assurance.
If the consensus is that the sealer is a waste of time and money, I'll leave it as is.

Will a urethane similar to a windshield sealant work? I hate the stuff Jeep brushed on because it tends to trap rust underneath it, especially on the floors.

That's what seam sealers are. Urethane based sealants. If it were silicone, you wouldn't be able to paint over it. For my holes in my roof, I used a black silicone gasket material. For any seam sealing I use 3M's paintable stuff. No rust problems at all.

8656.jpg

Back