• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking Noise

2001XJ-32

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a faint clicking noise which seams to be in sequence with a revolotion of the tire. Only hear it going slow and it goes away if I touch the brake pedal...

Anyone have experience with this?

:cheers:

check your u-joints in the front axle at each knuckle. see if you can wiggle up and down/back and forth. or you have a rock in your tire

If it goes away when you hit the brakes the first thing I would check would be the caliper bolts to make sure they are tight, then check to make sure the anti rattle clips are still in place and not broken.

What rear axle do you have? On my '87 XJ, I have a TruTrac diff in my Dana44 that does that when going slow, usually just after turning a corner (actually more of a CLUNKING than a clicking, but still a noise). If you've got a factory tow package with a factory upgraded diff, that might be it. If so, it's nothing to worry about in my experience. Mine's ALWAYS done it...even after refreshing the rear pumpkin's favorite beverage of lube and lock additive!

Pyro

Whoa Pyro... yes, I have a D44 with a TruTrac Diff!

Nice call I will get under it to see if this is where the noise is coming from... laydown on a skate board and get pulled under the Jeep ? :)

Thanks!

... laydown on a skate board and get pulled under the Jeep ? :)

No need to create a new event for the X-Games :laugh:,. I'd say just listen for the next time you notice hearing the noise you're talking about, roll all your windows down (if you have to - I know I don't, mine makes enough noise to hear quite easily) and see if that helps you localize where it's coming from. If yours is doing what mine's done for a long time, it won't be hard to determine that it's the diff making the clunk.

Also, if for some reason you don't notice the noise (because you're trying to diagnose it, of course), you should be able to produce it on command by backing up while turning...like backing out of a parking space or something. That will almost always get mine thunkin'.

Pyro

Back