• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still getting acc in key off position

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
Just noticed this today, still have wipers and heat in key off position. Sign that I need an new ignition switch? Or could there just be something loose? I replaced the wiper switch a little while back and would think I would have noticed before now if something got bumped and I lost the off position, but I have had battery drain issues for a while (jeep doesn't get driven every day very often so I've just been disconnecting the batt.)
I'm not terribly excited to tear into the column again so would like to do it once and have an idea of whats going on and all the parts ready to go. 1987 non-tilt BTW

Thanks

Is it accessible on the top of the column? Like if I drop the column down I can get to the switch? It's been awhile since I had it apart

awww yeahhh thanks for the pics. I'll drop the column here in the next couple days and see if it's out of adjustment or if the switch is just worn out.

Just noticed this today, still have wipers and heat in key off position. Sign that I need an new ignition switch? Or could there just be something loose? I replaced the wiper switch a little while back and would think I would have noticed before now if something got bumped and I lost the off position, but I have had battery drain issues for a while (jeep doesn't get driven every day very often so I've just been disconnecting the batt.)
I'm not terribly excited to tear into the column again so would like to do it once and have an idea of whats going on and all the parts ready to go. 1987 non-tilt BTW

Thanks

If the key switch itself is bad then that is a different story, but both the 1994 and 1996 XJ's I have owned wipers, blower and radio work when the key is in the accessory position. One XJ had the GM style switch . The other the Chrysler switch. A bit disappointing but that is the way they are wired.

Years ago, one day, on my '93 XJ, the car sometimes wouldn't shut off. The problem was
intermittent, but as you can imagine, it was rather annoying.

With the engine off, I disconnected the battery and pulled off the steering column plastic
covers and wriggled the ignition switch actuation rod (or, switch push rod) at the top of the
column near to the bottom edge of the instrument gauges - and sprayed the heck out of it
with silicone spray. Allow the lube to dribble down the column under the instrument panel
while working the ignition switch with the key in order to loosen things up. Also, I went further down the steering column and sprayed the switch linkage there. Wipe off excess.

For me, problem solved.

Fixed by magic! as soon as I dropped the column it started working correctly. the switch was not loose, and I couldn't see anything that could have been causing the rod to bind. Bolted it all back up and still getting full-off with the key. ??? but I'll take it

Back