• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One ton brake soft pedal

The Luke

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I’m wrapping up my ton swap. 07 sd60 front, drum brake 14 bolt rear. Dodge 2500 mc and the dual diaphragm 96 Xj booster. I’ve bled these brakes for over a half hour and the pedal still feels like crap. It’s super soft up til the last inch of so if travel. Granted, the 14 bolt bleeders are mounted below the brake line. So it’s possible there’s still a bubble in there.

What am I doing wrong? Tips? Suggestions?

Save the “swap to disc brake” comments. I’m working on it. One penny at a time.

Haven’t driven it yet so I’m not sure if it helps to have it running. Doesn’t seem to build pressure yet. They seem to always be crap. But I think I’m on to something. I think previous owner of my axle put the drums on upside down. But since I have very little previous 14 bolt experience, I didn’t realize it til now. But the wheel cylinder is in the bottom on mine.

The wheel cylinder should not be on the bottom -- that is certainly a problem

Either your backing plates/brake assemblies are upside down or your whole axle is...

Pictures?

I’m working on pics. It’s at my buddies shop in Kentucky. The axle is in correctly, I honestly think the brake assemblies are upside down from the previous owner m. I think it was just an oversight. Sometimes it takes an outsider stepping back to look at it.

Is the wheel cylinder below the tube or above the tube? I'm not sure how you'd be able to install the wheel cylinder upside down in the backing plate.

Haven’t driven it yet so I’m not sure if it helps to have it running. Doesn’t seem to build pressure yet. They seem to always be crap. But I think I’m on to something. I think previous owner of my axle put the "backing plates and wheel cylinders" on upside down. But since I have very little previous 14 bolt experience, I didn’t realize it til now. But the wheel cylinder is in the bottom on mine.

Fixed it !!

Back